Friday, January 12, 2007

Fear

What do you fear? Snakes? Spiders? Heights? Or perhaps your fears are among the more nebulous fears of failure, rejection, or disapproval? Fear is both a great motivator and a great inhibitor. My fears prompt me to act in certain ways, and to not act in certain ways.

Wednesday night in the youth service our student minister made the statement that what we fear we are slaves to. In other words, our fears rule us. He gave the example of a teenage girl fearful of rejection by her boyfriend and that fear driving her to make compromises and perhaps go farther with him than she intended.

There is, of course, a holy fear, a fear of God, a respect and awe of Who He is. Our student minister's challenge: fear God and nothing else.

What am I most afraid of? That is what controls and manipulates me. What do I believe I can't live without? What do I fear losing? My reputation? Acceptance? My stuff?

Fear God and nothing else.

Imagine how our lives would be different if that were true. If I only considered God's approval and not man's. If missing His plan was more terrifying to me than missing out on the things of the world. If I were more fearful of my sin and it's rebellion against the Holy God.

Fearing God and nothing else--what boldness would I have! What freedom if I no longer weighed out what other's thought! What risks would I take for the kingdom!

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. (Heb. 12:28-29)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have really dealt with fear over the years--of the seemingly most silly things. Satan can really use fear to control us. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete