Monday, January 15, 2007

If we confess our sins

I don't know if you know this or not, but I have the four most innocent children in the world. It's true. By their own admission, they never, no, not ever, do anything wrong. They are never at fault. Perfect, I tell you.

For example, last night my youngest son went to bed with three spankings and the promise of being grounded from tv and PlayStation today. This morning, our conversation went something like this:

Youngest son (hopeful): I want to play PlayStation.

Me: I'm so sorry, but remember? You're grounded.

Youngest son (grumbling): I don't want to be grounded.

Me: I know you don't, but maybe next time you won't talk ugly to me.

Youngest son (increasingly whiny): But I didn't. (Denial)

Me: You did, and now you have to pay the consequences.

Youngest son (pouting): He made me. (Blame)

Me: He didn't make you defy me; you did it and now you're grounded. I'm really sorry, but hopefully you'll learn next time.

Youngest son (whiny, with a high pitchedvoice, dragging out every word): I'm so-o-o-o-r-r-r-y. (yeah, right)

Me: I'm glad you're sorry, but you're still grounded. Maybe next time you won't defy me.

Any of us who are parents know that this sort of behavior isn't learned. Denial, blame, rationalization, all come natural to our kids. Hey, to you and me as well. How many times do we...
deny our sin ("it's just a little white lie"),
blame our sin ("he made me do it"),
rationalize our sin ("she does it too"),
excuse our sin ("I can't help it; it's just the way I am")...
And on and on we go. We even try to dress up our sin so to speak, calling it shortcomings and mistakes, but never what it is: sin. Sin against a holy and righteous God.

Sin is serious stuff, not to be covered up or ignored, but confessed and repented of. 1 John 1:9 gives the wonderful promise that "If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I looked up the word "confess" and unfortunately for us (and my boy) it doesn't mean to blame or deny. Rather, to confess is to agree with God about my sin, to openly declare and profess my sins before the God of all righteousness. To be flippant about my sin, to minimize it's seriousness with denial or with rationalization, is to be flippant about the holiness of my God. My sin, of action or attitude, is rebellion against Him. Sin unconfessed mocks the cross.

Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD"--
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin. Psalms 32:5

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved reading this, sounds like
    my household. Thank you for making
    me feel normal =))

    And I loved your message, sin is
    serious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are much like our children, aren't we? Thanks for sharing that! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will note that I did not provide editorial descriptions for MY tone of voice!

    ReplyDelete