Thursday, January 25, 2007

(Not so very) slow to speak

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. Two instances in two days find my words coming back to haunt me. First, with a high stakes basketball game coming up and fierce competition on both sides, I jestingly made the comment to my husband that maybe the star player of the other team might get sick just prior to the game. I know, it's not funny, not in the least (yet another example of my lack of humor) and I didn't mean it at all. Well, he didn't get sick, but one of our critical players did.

Further, twice yesterday--twice, mind you!--I made the statement that it had been so long since any of my kids had been sick. I even specifically mentioned the stomach virus, saying I couldn't even remember the last time any of us had the stomach virus. You know where this is headed, I'm sure. That's right, last night one of my sons was sick, extremely so, with guess what? The stomach virus.

I'm not superstitious, not at all, not one little bit. But I do know I am often careless with my words, not realizing what impact they may have (and no, I do not for one minute think my words caused my son and the other little boy to get sick).

And since I am prone to being careless with my words I wonder at the wisdom of my previous posts about church. Admittedly the one I wrote last night was written in between cleaning up after the aforementioned virus, so I probably wasn't as coherent as I might have been. I can't help second guessing airing my struggles so publicly. I am afraid I said too much, that I have offended, that I will be misunderstood. I fear I might sound self absorbed and full of doubt (okay, that part is no doubt a fair characterization!).

Here's the bottom line: I'm believing God to blow our minds. I'm waiting on Him, knowing He will be faithful. We cannot conceive what He has for us in His good, acceptable and perfect will! Whether it be like the fiery revival of Pentecost or like the long lonely years of Jeremiah, I just want to be faithful, fully obedient and fully surrendered. Wherever He leads, I want to go.

Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known.
Hab. 3:2

You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.
Ps. 77:14

3 comments:

  1. My first journey into your world of blogging. I am now one of your readers. I hope I can be as faithful reading as bloggers are at posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- sory to hear about everything that is going on. Stay strong, be patient, and focus on His calling for you. Here is something that has helped me on several occasions (going through similar things that your church may be going through)

    Fellowship of the Unashamed
    (An African martyr’s last words)

    I am part of the Fellowship of the Unashamed. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been mad. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ.

    I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure.

    I am finished and done with low living, sight-walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions, mundane talking, cheap giving, and dwarf goals.

    My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few, my Guide reliable, my mission clear.

    I won’t give up, back up, let up, or shut up until I’ve preached up, prayed up, paid up, stored up, and stayed up for the cause of Christ.

    I must go until He returns, give until I drop, preach until all know, and work until He comes.

    And when He comes to get His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My colors will be clear. “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.” –Romans 1:16

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, you are human!!! Girl you and I are one and the same, I eat my feet daily. This is something I have had to work on. I am shy around new people, but with people who know me I can make some stupid comments. Hang in there I hope everyone is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete