Thursday, January 18, 2007

Random contemplations and ruminations

I was just transferring important dates, birthdays and such, from last year's calendar to this year's. On Saturday, January 14 of last year, this was our schedule:
Basketball game at 10 am
At a different location, basketball games at 11 am and 1 pm
At still a third location, basketball games at 2:30 and 3:45
Wait, it gets better. The next Saturday's schedule looks like this:
Basketball games at 10 am, 11 am, 12 pm, 1 pm and 6 pm.
Guess how many locations? Three.
It's a wonder I didn't lose my mind. Wait, I think maybe I did, actually...

*************

You may have noticed a "Currently Reading" category over on the sidebar. I am wondering at the wisdom of including such, as I am a little embarrassed for you to see how quickly I devour the fiction titles...and correspondingly how slowly I plod through the non fiction.

I just finished A Tale of Two Cities and loved it. It was absolutely wonderful and ranks up there with my top favorites, although nothing can top Pride and Prejudice as my all time favorite novel. Next on my list to read (fiction) is The Thirteenth Tale, which I know absolutely nothing about except that it has topped the reading list of several bloggers out there, and I can't help wanting to join the crowd.

As you can see, I am also reading The Life of God in the Soul of Man, a continuation of the "dead guys" Brad recommended. It's a wonderful book, written by a young preacher of the Word a few hundred years ago. His description of genuine religion as contrasted with our outward ceremony rings true today.

*************

My husband recently purchased a new bathroom scale. While I do not relish weighing on a regular basis, my kids, especially my youngest, revels in it. The other day he got on the scale and exclaimed, "Mama! I keep losing my pounds!"

I'm afraid I experience exactly the opposite phenomenon...

*************

My husband and I just completed watching the first season of 24 on DVD. Okay, where were we and how did we miss out? We are so hooked! We've already started the second season. On the advice of other 24-addicts, we are not watching Season 6 which is currently being aired, but will have to catch up via DVD. Which, by the way, I'm thinking is not such a bad way to go about it. There have been several installments ending with an especially climactic cliff-hanger, and we have been so glad that the next episode was only a click away (as opposed to a week away!).

*************

Tuesday, as I was getting ready to go to the funeral of my friend, this song was playing:
When I come to die
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
Give me Jesus
That song was followed by this song:

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

As I contemplate the difficulty of this life, I marvel at the faith that says "Just give me Jesus" and "Whatever comes still I will praise You." The journey from life through death to Life Eternal is a mystery to us, but the joy that awaits is so real that this life will be but a shadow in comparison. There is much to anticipate, no pain, no tears, streets of gold--but I believe that the great joy of Heaven is not the place but the Person. Jesus Christ, God Himself, the fullness of His Presence--that will be Heaven! "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time (this present life) are not worth being compared with the glory that is about to be revealed..." (Rom. 8:18, amp)

6 comments:

  1. I am reading "The Thirteenth Tale," too. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Also, welcome to the world of 24! I don't watch much television-just 24 and Lost consistently. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're LOST fans as well! We're looking forward to its return from hiatus. That's pretty much all I watch consistently as well.

    How do you like "The Thirteenth Tale"? I think I'm going to start it today in car line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-
    I was so happy when I saw you have joined the 24 world!! It truly is the best show ever on television. I am preggers with my third son and my hubs and I seriously considered naming him Jack Bauer. Seriously. The only reason we aren't (probably) is b/c I know that I would be heckled by my non 24 friends for the rest of my life. There is a group of us at our church that watch it every week...we all have matching 24 stickers on our cars to "identify" each other...I think we need counselling!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when God gives you the perfect song at the perfect time ? I think I am the only one alive that does not watch 24. I get too worked up, and my poor little heart can not take it. We watched the first season on DVD, and it was TOO MUCH. I was so stressed =( Oh well.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading "The Thirteenth Tale," too. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    Also, welcome to the world of 24! I don't watch much television-just 24 and Lost consistently. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're LOST fans as well! We're looking forward to its return from hiatus. That's pretty much all I watch consistently as well.

    How do you like "The Thirteenth Tale"? I think I'm going to start it today in car line!

    ReplyDelete