Friday, February 16, 2007

As the mother of sons...

As the mother of sons, I have often said I am so glad I'm not raising girls. Well, that's not entirely true, as there is that part of me that dearly yearns after a little "pink" in her home and heart. But as I consider the many challenges facing young girls and their parents, particularly in the areas of modesty and dress, I confess I am thankful for the "blue."

I don't have to tell you our enemy is winning this one. A few years ago I went into a "pre-teen" store in the mall with my friend, the mother of a daughter. I couldn't believe my eyes. "Shock" might well be an apt description. My friend shared with me the difficulty of finding cute, trendy clothes for her daughter that were also modest and reflected a godly image.

Our culture pressures girls to grow up earlier and earlier, to no longer dress like young girls, but rather with more maturity. And more skin as it so happens.

All of us girls long to be considered beautiful. And I well remember the pressure to fit in and fill the mold that defined "beautiful."

Because this is such a difficult and complex battle, it is critical we commit ourselves to take whatever steps we can to return our culture--especially our Christian culture--to Biblical modesty. Kim of Lifesong has a wonderful post, not just for the next generation of girls, but even for us grown up girls and the pressures we face in the pursuit of beauty.

Kim also linked to a Modesty Survey compiled by the guys at Rebelution. They asked 1600 Christian guys to define parameters of modesty and what serves to tempt in the areas of dress and swimsuits and tank tops, to name a few.

In addition to the survey, hundreds of Christian young men are signing a modesty petition, encouraging their Christian sisters and friends and girlfriends in the pursuit of Biblical modesty:
As a Christian guy with a deep appreciation for feminine modesty, I hereby affirm and commend the following biblical truths to my sisters in Christ:
  • Please, approach the survey as a resource, not a list of rules.
  • Always honor your parents above the results of the survey. (Ephesians 6:1-3)
  • Seek personal feedback on your attire from the godly men and women in your life.
  • Remember, modesty is first and foremost a matter of the heart, not the wardrobe.
  • Faithfully pursue the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. (1 Peter 3:4)
  • Let your good works outshine your outward appearance. (1 Timothy 2:10)
  • Dress for the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
May this generation of Christian young men and women commit themselves to reflecting Jesus Christ and not the current cultural trends and may we as parents encourage them in this pursuit...

7 comments:

  1. The topic of this conversation scares me to death, having an almost 4 year old daughter, I know that this time is coming sooner than later for my family. My only defense (at the time) is prayer....and lot's of it.

    I recently looked through a 1991 yearbook (I was a sophomore)and it really struck me how dress has changed. The girls in "my day" actually dressed rather modestly! At the proms and dances, there wasn't skin flying everywhere like you see today! I can remember the temptations during that time for young men (boys...we weren't men) and I'll tell you that the dress problem of females isn't just a problem for parents with girls. Parents with boys should be just as concerned. Men are visual and it starts in about 6th to 7th grade. We should be praying for constraint in our young men (boys!) as much as we do for decency in our girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    You are so right and by no means did I intend to insinuate that I considered this to be a problem solely for girls. Across the board, boys and girls, moms and dads, men and women, we all need to not only pray for the next generation, but to proactively pursue godliness in ALL areas of our lives, including our dress.

    Thanks for commenting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mother of a son and a daughter, I am seeking Go'd direction on all sides of this issue. It is great that you and Kim have opened this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mother to two daughters, this topic is near and dear to my heart. I love to shop, I love trendy clothes. I find it hard, sometimes, to even know where to draw the line for myself. It's especially hard, as my daughters get older, to know how to guide them to make wise decisions about modest clothing while still allowing them to be trendy and find their personal style.

    Found your blog thru Everyday Mommy. Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I so appreciate what you have said here....this is a topic of discussion in our home quite frequently....I agree that this is not just a "girl" problem....our children and young people really need our prayers and we as parents need constant prayer in leading our children toward modesty - we are to do everything for the glory of God...

    Love you

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the mom to 3 boys and 1 girl (4) who thankfully doesn't like to wear bikinis because they show her belly. It is definitely easier dressing boys. They can care less what they wear, but my daughter already has her opinions. Thanks for this post and for spreading the word and message of modesty for our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt,
    You are so right and by no means did I intend to insinuate that I considered this to be a problem solely for girls. Across the board, boys and girls, moms and dads, men and women, we all need to not only pray for the next generation, but to proactively pursue godliness in ALL areas of our lives, including our dress.

    Thanks for commenting...

    ReplyDelete