Monday, February 26, 2007

Honest to God

I teach a community Bible study on Monday nights. We are currently studying Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh Demoss and Tim Grissom. This past week we studied the importance of honesty with God and with others, particularly in regard to our sin. In an effort to expose the areas of our lives prone to pretense and hiding, the authors offer the following questions for personal examination:
  • Do I often participate in corporate praise and prayer while my heart is cold, indifferent, or resistant to the Lord?
  • Are my prayers honest? Do I say words that I think will impress God, or do I honest communicate my real feelings and desires to Him?
  • Do I honor Him with my lips when my mind and heart are far away? What am I really thinking about when I pray?
  • When called upon to pray in public, am I more aware of God's presence or the fact that others are listening to what I say?
  • Do I serve God out of a heart of genuine love and devotion, or do I have a subtle, secret desire to be noticed and applauded?
  • Am I quick to agree with God when His Spirit convicts me of sin, or do I tend to rationalize, justify, and defend myself?
  • Do I see my sin as God sees it, or do I tend to think in terms of "weaknesses," "problems," "slip-ups," or "personality quirks"?
  • Do I sometimes seek to create a better impression of myself than is honestly true?
  • Do I often leave others with the impression that I am more spiritually mature and committed than is actually true?
  • Do I put up walls to keep people from seeing the "real me"? Am I willing to let others into my life--to be honest about my spiritual needs, to ask for prayer about those and to be accountable to others for areas where I need to grow or change?
Ouch.

"Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts"
(Ps. 51:6)

5 comments:

  1. Those are very good questions to really look at where my heart is. And ones I think I need to revisit on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, ouch! And that's all I'm going to say about that, Forrest. The rest must be said on my knees.

    Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch is right! Once again, Lisa, thanks for a great post that the Holy Spirit has used to convict my heart regarding several of these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, ouch, indeed. Definitely much food for thought and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,double ouch! I need to read this book! I learn well from thought provoking questions like these....I learn I don't measure up! Thankfully,Christ has made me whole!

    By the way, Nancy Leigh Demoss worships at our church when she is in town recording her radio program. From what I know about her she lives what she teaches.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete