Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I think I need a holiday intervention

I think I need a holiday intervention. If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, for two months or so, you know that I make no pretense about my dislike of Christmas. Well, if truth be told, I sort of feel the same way about Valentine's Day.

I love my husband, with a love that only grows deeper with each passing day. I just don't like being told my love is somehow expressed by buying a $5+ card and a gift on a specific day that otherwise is just any other day. I love him, I appreciate him, I esteem him, I don't need a holiday to tell him so.

Come to think of it, I could say the same thing about other holidays and events. Teacher Appreciation Week for instance. Do not get me wrong here. I certainly, most definitely, absolutely appreciate my sons' teachers and all they do to promote their education and well-being. But doesn't the appreciation lose something if I have to be told when and how to express it?

If you had any doubts about my cynicism, this post has put them to rest, I'm sure. If you are not a holiday scrooge like myself, I wish you a wonderful Valentine's Day celebration. For those of you also in need of a holiday intervention, happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. This makes me giggle because just this morning I was thinking with aggravation of the outside pressure to holiday conform. I find myself succumbing to it, and I'm peeved at myself. I'll join you in your holiday intervention and will look for a happy Wednesday way to show my hubs that he is esteemed! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about the same thing a few days ago, I agree.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm basically right there with you. My husband and I don't really do much with Valentine's day - we think it's just a "Hallmark holiday," really. Though, I did use the day today to write about some reasons why I love my hubby anyway! Happy Wednesday to you, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great message Lisa! God's intervention of love for mankind came through the cross which held Jesus Christ. Amen! Hope you had a blessed Valentine's day, filled with Love.

    ReplyDelete