Monday, March 12, 2007

More on books!

In celebration of her new venture, Kim of Hiraeth has invited whosoever would like to play along with the following Bookworm Meme:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Hardback is definitely my first choice, but I'll read any of the above!

Online purchase or brick and mortar?
Usually online, as we have no local bookstore, unless Wal Mart counts, and as you know, it does NOT.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?

I've never been to Borders!

Bookmark or dog-ear?
My usual bookmark is one of my husband's business cards.

Mark or not mark?
Depends on the book. I usually do not mark, but sometimes if it is especially meaningful or something I plan to use in teaching Bible study, I will mark.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
Completely and totally random, crammed to overflow in the bookcase, stacked in front of the bookcase, stacked on tables...

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Usually keep. I do give away some of the novels that I am sure I will not read again.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
Keep.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
With.

Short story or novel?
Novel, only because I haven't read many short stories.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
See answer above.

Lord of the Rings or Narnia
Lord of the Rings, but only because I loved the movies so much.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
When tired

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Both. I love all genres.

Buy or Borrow?
Both. I love the library, but too often the books I am looking for are not available. Buying books is an addictive luxury for me!

New or used?
Generally new, but not because I am a used book snob. I just don't really have a venue for purchasing used books.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
All of the above. I love to read reviews; I love to browse; and I love to hear what others recommend. Besides finding a good book, you can learn so much about a person from what they read!

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Tidy ending, definitely. Sometimes the cliffhanger ending feels like a marketing ploy to get you to buy the next book!

Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading?
Yes!

Standalone or series?
Both.

Favorite series?
The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker
The Mitford series by Jan Karon
The Refiner's Fire series by Lynne Austin
The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I loved Quo Vadis. I had never heard of it until a friend recommended it to me.

Favorite books read last year?
Probably too many to mention! The ones that first come to mind are...
Fiction: Quo Vadis, Jane Eyre, Maggie, Winter Birds
Non fiction: 1776, The Life of God in the Soul of Man, The Cross Centered Life, The Autobiography of George Mueller

Favorite book of all time?
The living powerful Word of God


4 comments:

  1. Yippee! I haven't done the drawing yet, so I will add your name to the hat. I was hoping you'd get it in in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beginning to cost me money. My wife reads your blog and has decided to buy some of these books.:) Fortunately, our local library is having a "book sale," and some of these titles are actually there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm glad I finnaly had the chance to check out the blogg. It's a little discouraging to know that after a day of reading I am 97 bloggs behind. I haven't had a chance to read many, but "Let the games begin" is a great comparison and something I can really relate too. Thanks for taking the time out of a busy schedule to share. I hope to read many more.

    I'll have to thank Matt for putting "Lisa-writes" and "Sojourner" on my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm glad I finnaly had the chance to check out the blogg. It's a little discouraging to know that after a day of reading I am 97 bloggs behind. I haven't had a chance to read many, but "Let the games begin" is a great comparison and something I can really relate too. Thanks for taking the time out of a busy schedule to share. I hope to read many more.

    I'll have to thank Matt for putting "Lisa-writes" and "Sojourner" on my favorites.

    ReplyDelete