Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Words worth pondering from the scraps of paper stuck in my Bible

I don't know the official title for the type of learner I am, but I learn best when I write it down. As a result, my Bible is fraught with slips of paper, church bulletins especially, with random words of wisdom scribbled down so as not to forget. As I was rummaging in my Bible this morning looking for a specific verse, several of these pieces of paper fell out and upon reading the inscribed thoughts, I decided to share some of them with you:

I don't need to be saved because I was a _______. I was a _____________ because I needed to be saved.

Sometimes self deprecation is shame masquerading as false humility.

Self promotion and servanthood don't mix.

Significance is not the same as prominence.

Contending is necessary but does not come naturally. Make it your faith. You will not contend for what you are not passionate about. It's the difference between being generally or personally offended.

God loves to put us where all we have is Him.

Our work for God flows from worship.

We can't be complacent. If Jesus is Lord, we must be serving Him.

The Holy Spirit is like a fire in our lives, burning with intensity, passion and compulsion.

Heb. 12:1...too often we fix our eyes on the course rather than on Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. My favorite one is "God loves to put us where all we have is Him." I have been there so many times, but it makes me a stronger Christian. Thanks for the thoughts. They really touched me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I would get along great! I am exactly the same way. I get so much more out of it if I write things down and as a result like you have slips of paper and bulletins with writing everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiiieee, the scraps of paper in our Bibles combined could take over the world! I love this post. It reminds me of how after my Mimi died, I went through her Bible and wrote down all of the little notes and thoughts she had compiled in the margins and scraps. All gave richly to my understanding of God, and to my appreciation of her faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these precious thoughts. One really jumped at me--"God loves to put us wehre all we have is Him." I have been in those places before--so very hard, but such times of growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am in full agreement with the others. The one that really stood out to me was God loves to put us where all we have is Him.

    But then so did this one: Heb. 12:1...too often we fix our eyes on the course rather than on Jesus.

    and the fact that If Jesus truly is our Lord... it is not only that we must serve Him, but that we WILL serve Him flowing from a heart of worship, and passionately for His glory.

    ReplyDelete