Tuesday, April 03, 2007

As Christ loved the church

Last night in Bible study I made the statement / joke that if nothing else convinces me of the total depravity of man, raising four children certainly does.

And then I said they could say the same thing about their mother.

I know there is nothing good in me. I see my sinful, desperately-in-need-of-a-Savior self daily. But perhaps not so clearly as today. Today I wrecked my van. Bad. Like there were parts of my van strewn across the road. And it was totally and completely my fault.

No one was hurt, thankfully. Mercifully.

I dreaded calling my husband. Unfortunately, this whole having a wreck deal is not a new phenomenon for me. I've been here before when I wrecked my Suburban two and half years ago. Then I only backed into a parked truck. Today I decided to take on a truck broadside.

You're right. It's not funny.

I feared calling my husband because inside me there is still so much of that insecure girl I described in my previous post, that girl wanting acceptance yet fearing the rejection she knows she deserves. And why shouldn't he be mad and fed up? How much can one man take after all? Isn't this it? Hasn't he had enough?

I call and confess. He comes. He spends nearly an hour on the phone with the insurance agent. He rents a car. He handles it. He cleans up my mess.

I cry and he holds me and tells me it's okay.

He forgives me. Again.

The Bible repeatedly compares the love and mercy of Christ with the love and care of a husband. If so--and it must be so, the Bible says--then I tasted His mercy today when my man loved me with the love and grace of Jesus.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Honey! Oh, I'm so, so sorry. I'm sure you were scared out of your wits! So glad to hear that you're alright. Wish I could rush over and help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been so scary! I'm so glad you are okay and that your husband was there to comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, hang in there! It's a relief to know no one was hurt, but it's traumatizing nonetheless. You'll be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes. Been there, even beyond the car wrecking thing, I mean (though been there too)--sinful and forgiven. I love, love, love grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband also has been such a great example of faithful love by cleaning up my messes.

    Glad no one was hurt. Keep pressing on. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad you are all okay!! And what a moving picture parallel of Christ's love for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post!

    I have picked you as a "Thinking Blogger" for your many wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa - I have been out of town - first thing my family told me was about your incident...I am so sorry - I am so thankful that you and your precious cargo are safe and sound....and I am with Jill, my precious husband has been there to get me out of many messes...we are truly blessed...I love you...glad you are safe..

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in tears here. That was beautiful how your husband fullfilled his role under the Lord towards you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a terribly frightening day for you! I'm immensely thankful that you are safe. The aftermath of a wreck is equally terrible. I will pray that God goes before you to smooth the wheels of insurance, repairs and healing. May you continue to find an abundance of His comfort in His Word and in the love of your sweet husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa - I have been out of town - first thing my family told me was about your incident...I am so sorry - I am so thankful that you and your precious cargo are safe and sound....and I am with Jill, my precious husband has been there to get me out of many messes...we are truly blessed...I love you...glad you are safe..

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband also has been such a great example of faithful love by cleaning up my messes.

    Glad no one was hurt. Keep pressing on. ;O)

    ReplyDelete