Thursday, April 12, 2007

From the "Lisa writes" vaults: The Word for Life

(In something of a blog slump...okay a total life slump...I've decided to dig into the archives and recycle a post previously published in November. I do hope you'll share a verse with us...let's encourage one another with the Truth of God's Word!)
"They are not just idle words for you--they are your life." Deut. 32:47
I am always intrigued when someone claims a "life verse." Intrigued in the best possible way, I might add. To have one Scripture that sums up what you are about and where you are in your journey is way cool. I think I'm just too big of a mess to have a single verse speak to my situation. Today I may have a favorite verse, tomorrow I cling to another Word. Here are some of my recent lifelines:
One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. Ps. 27:4

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Ps. 90:14

Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant...Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 2 Cor. 3:4-6, 12

The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore I will hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him. The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him [inquire of and for Him and require Him by right of necessity and on the authority of God's word]. Lam. 3:24-25, AMP
In Bible study a couple of weeks ago I asked the ladies to share their favorite verse. I really did it as a form of interaction, an icebreaker of sorts. But as we heard testimony after testimony of the very personal way that God had used His Word to speak and encourage and heal and sustain, we couldn't help but praise Him! His Word has power! (Is. 55:10-11)

So, now it's your turn. That's right, I'm asking for a little audience participation. Click on the "comments" link below and post your favorite verse, your life verse if you have one, or perhaps the Word that the Spirit is speaking into your life in this present circumstance. I know we will be encouraged by your Word of testimony!
The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold. Ps. 119:72

8 comments:

  1. I don't think a post like this would ever get old for me. I also love to hear how God has worked through is word in people's lives.

    The verses that have been speaking to me over the last few years (yup-years! I think I must have much to learn) is Hebrews 12:1-3

    "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning it's shame and sat down at the right hand of the father. Let us consider him who endure such opposition from sinful man so that we will not grow weary and lose heart."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I can list just one. But some that come to mind right now are:
    -Psalm 103
    -I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

    But I think the one's that really can be called a "life verse" for me are: Psalm 116:1-2
    "I love the Lord for He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy. Because He turned His ear to me, I will call on Him as long as I live."
    and Psalm 9:1 I will give thank to the Lord with all my heart, I will tell of all your wonders!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a life verse but this one (one of many now that I think of it) *always resonates with me:
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    My life verse (I guess you could say) right now would have to be Philippians 2:14-16 -
    "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life - in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."
    Obviously still working on this one...and trying to get my almost 8 year old to understand it a little.
    I also love Psalm 121.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the past 7 months or so, my life verse has been:
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
    Jeremiah 29:11


    Another verse that always pops into my head when my anxiety is up and my worries are overbearing is this from Matthew:

    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." 6:34

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always encouraged by Hebrews 10:23, "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." This verse reminds me that the object of saving faith is Jesus Christ alone.

    Php 1:9-11 is a specific prayer for other believers. May it bless you as well, "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa...my life verse is Isaiah 40:31...."But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strengtn, They shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not grow weary; they shall walk and not faint."

    I am always good at "waiting."

    Love you...

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really have a life verse but this one (one of many now that I think of it) *always resonates with me:
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete