Friday, April 06, 2007

Thoughts on Good Friday

Is it possible to suffer from post-traumatic-van wreck-syndrome? I think so.

Today in car line an impatient mother tired of waiting in her stationary lane attempted to dart over into mine and we nearly collided. Nearly. We didn't. Nevertheless, I clinched the steering wheel and slammed the brakes. Tears in my eyes, I drove away trembling all over.

My son said, "What if we wrecked this van too?" and chuckled. I fail to see the humor.

I feel something like David when he wrote in Psalm 51, "My sin is ever before me." My wreck is ever before me. The sight...the sound...the guilt.

My husband--bless him--says "stop feeling guilty." I say "I don't feel guilty. I am guilty."

I am guilty. I wrecked my van and there is no one I can blame. I cannot fix it or take it away or go back and do it all over again but differently.

As I contemplate the fact of my guilt on this Good Friday, I realize my situation mirrors that of the universal condition of mankind. We are guilty. You, me, all of us. There is no one we can blame. We have sinned. Each of us, and there is nothing--NOTHING--we can do to fix it or take it away or go back and do it all over again but differently.

We are guilty, deserving of eternal punishment. But...

But for the grace of God. But for the cross of Christ. But for Good Friday, where the holy, sinless, perfect Lamb of God was sacrificed on my behalf. Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

What hope we have because of the cross of Christ! Redemption! Forgiveness! Grace! Mercy! My sin no longer condemns me. Even the sin of wrecking my van. I am no longer dead in my sin, but alive in Christ. I was dead, now I live!

A statement I read recently sticks in my mind: Sin is our biggest problem. So big that we are deserving of hell, just for the sins we committed this day. We may gloss over or minimize or excuse or blame our sin, but in truth we are lost, condemned and dying, without hope to rescue ourselves. Our sin is ever before us. As we remember the bigness of our sin, we realize anew the bigness of God's mercy and grace, as well as the depth of Christ's sacrifice. While we were yet sinners, He died. A cruel, horrible, unimaginable death.

He died, but was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father! So we too may live a new life! Hallelujah!

May the remembrance of the cross of Christ and His glorious resurrection bring you hope and joy this Easter season...
"Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea and all that is in them, singing:

"To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, forever and ever!"
Rev. 5:12-13

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Such wonderful thoughts for this weekend! May we never stop singing His praise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Lisa! Praise God for his forgiveness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great it is to realize God's amazing grace that we are not condemned for our sins because of Jesus Christ. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely thoughts for today and every day. A powerful, important post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post! Wonderful thoughts for this weekend! Blessings to you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! Wonderful thoughts for this weekend! Blessings to you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete