Monday, May 21, 2007

Life as we know it

And so we have reached the final week of the 2006-2007 school year and all that entails: awards programs, early check outs, field days, and so on and so forth. I have to inform my homeschooling friends, in your list of all the benefits of homeschooling, do not neglect this one: you miss out on the last week of school and the accompanying frantic whirlwind.

You would not believe what my calendar looks like. No, I won't try your patience with a detailed itinerary, but let's just say I will spend all day tomorrow--8 to 6 all day!--running around town using up plenty of the $3.07/gallon gas in my van. I am weary just thinking about it.

My sister's anniversary was last week. Three years! Her wedding was something to behold; a time of great celebration and joy to be sure. A week later my grandmother died; a time of great sadness and grief.

And in between was the last week of school, a time of craziness which I've already described to you.

I've thought to myself many times, isn't that just like life? Hurried frenzy sandwiched between great joy and deep sorrow. A roller coaster, really. Great heights lurching and spinning toward deep lows. Occasionally we may get a few moments of calm, and we gasp for air and think "maybe I'll just get off and rest for a minute..." and before we can catch our breath off we go again.

And we wonder, Is this it? Ups, downs, highs, lows, a calm moment here and there, rush, rush, rush?

My grandmother was buried in a small family cemetery near her home. After the graveside service, my aunt expressed a desire to find her grandfather's grave. As we meandered through the markers, I became intrigued by the lives, and deaths, of those buried there. There were many, many small graves. I bent down over the gravestone of a baby girl buried there over 150 years ago.

It was the strangest feeling. To consider that a mom and a dad had once stood there, where I then stooped. To consider their grief and loss. And then to consider that time had marched on, moving quickly past, ever forward. And perhaps the saddest of all to me: their little one essentially forgotten in the advancement of time. Could they have known? Could they have imagined?

Life as we know it is crazy, frantic, and full of the unexpected. A perpetual roller coaster of sorts. Life as we know it is also short, a mere breath. We are but a mist (James 4:14), here for a moment then gone to eternity (Ps. 103:15-16). How then shall we live? What sort of people are we to be?
So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
Ps. 90:12
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,
making the best use of the time...
Eph. 5:15-16

5 comments:

  1. I've often said that there are at least two weeks in the year when all things under the sun converge, producing some strange wrinkle in time where impossibilities of scheduling threaten to undo us.

    Which is why Eph. 5:15-16 "making the best use of the time" is so straight to the heart gooooood!

    Praying you survive the wrinkles in time, knowing your times are in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely observations, Lisa. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Again your writing is so beautiful and inspiring.

    Life is so fleeting and it is so easy to focus on things that in the end truly don't matter at all.

    As our school year comes to an end, I too find myself very reflective of my children's growth and changes this past year. I look forward to summer. I always hope to just stop and enjoy the days with my kids and not let the same busyness that the school year can bring crowd our days.

    Blessings to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart of Wisdom...that's what I want. Thanks Lisa. Just couldn't leave without saying you have some cheap gas where you live. (cheap being relative)$3.38 and up in the Seattle area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were just commenting the other day, "Who stole the month of May and whoever you are - give it back!"

    Have a happy hectic day!

    ReplyDelete