Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dining out

Ellen B. of The Happy Wonderer has tagged me for an eating out meme. By the way, Ellen's blog is stubtitled "To honor and encourage" and she does both. Very well. She honors our Lord with her thoughtful insights and she encourages me with her comments and posts. I'm glad our blog paths crossed.

So, here are the rules:
1. Link to name of person that tagged you.
2. Include state and country you live in.
3. List top 5 favorite local restaurants.
4. Tag 5 other people and let them know they’ve been tagged.


I live in a fairly small town so I'm not sure that any of this will mean anything to anyone but those of you who live here as well. But, to play along, and to give me blog fodder for another post, and to satisfy the insatiable curiosity of we who blog for all things trivial, here you go:

I live in Alabama, in the US of A. My top five favorite local restaurants include:

1. Los Arcos. Maybe it comes from those years of living in Texas, but I think Mexican food is hands down my favorite food category. I well remember one of our first nights in our new home in the great state of Texas and my mom made nachos. With chips out of a box and square pieces of cheese placed on each. How much we had to learn! And learn we did! Now my favorite dishes include quesadillas, fajitas, chimichangas, and of course guacamole.

2. Asia Garden. Second only to Mexican food is Chinese food. Growing up we ate good ol' Southern cooking: biscuits, fried chicken, and the like. My first experience with Chinese food came in college. There was a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant close to my dorm, and even better, they took checks! A college student's dream! (this before debit cards) For $3.83, by check, I would get sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, an egg roll, and a large diet coke (Yes, my friends, I was a staunch diet coke drinker in college. I have since repented of my ways.). Today, I much prefer Mongolian Beef, wonton soup, the absolutely essential egg roll, and a sweet tea (has anyone else discovered Chinese restaurants seem to have the best tea?).

3. Giovanni's, an Italian / Greek restaurant offering pizza, open faced sandwiches, and various pasta dishes. I love their pizza, and at buy one get one free, it's an affordable meal for my family of six. We dined there last night and I had chicken scampi, also absolutely delicious.

4. The Home Bakery. Okay, not a restaurant per se, but they have the best doughnuts ever. Ever. Not to mention cakes and fried croissants that are to die for.

5. Main Streets, also known as The Candy Shop, as they sell homemade fudge and other candies and gifts. This is my favorite meet-the-girls-for-lunch place, their menu featuring various salads and combo plates. The last time I was there I had a salad plate with an absolutely phenomenal squash casserole. Yum!

So there you go. Now I'm hungry. I'll tag Lisa, Rebekah, Elle, Kelly, and Leslie.

11 comments:

  1. Your small town restaurants made my mouth water! Fried Croissants! Squash Casserole! I always love an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Giovanni's caught my eye! I married Greek!

    And I am really interested in knowing a bit more about the FRIED Croissants! Delicious sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have some good sounding restaurants! I'll try to get mine done soon, thanks for the tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm,Main Streets sounds good! I'll work on mine. Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't even try this. I live literally in the middle of nowhere (think desert, sage brush, John Wayne movies) after living in a city with a fine culinary arts school and the best hole in the wall restaurants you can ever imagine (I still dream about Wick's Pizza). So now I try to duplicate recipes at home, which actually save a lot of money!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sandwich Host! How can you not mention the The Sandwich Host! Oh, for some farmer's delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! They all sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen,
    I have to say going out to eat around here most definitely can at times be an adventure!

    Ellen and Lana,
    The fried croissants are much like doughnuts--fried and glazed. YUM!

    juloyes,
    "desert, sage brush, and John Wayne"--you've got me intrigued!

    Brad,
    Sadly enough, I have NEVER eaten at the Sandwich Host! Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Received the tag. I'm posting this on Friday. And hey, what do you think it would take to get that Home Bakery place to guest post that fried croissants recipe? Some bloggers might cook and review the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very useful, excellent information..


    You may also find it useful to visit my website: http://www.healthopts.com

    ReplyDelete