Monday, June 04, 2007

The going and the coming

We spent the weekend prior to Memorial Day at my parents' home. Several years ago my parents built a home on what had been my grandparents' land, right next to the house my grandfather built himself several decades ago. My family moved several times during my growing up years, so this place is unique to me in that it is the only place that literally holds a lifetime of memories for me.

I love going home. I love it when we are all together, me and my family, my sister and her family, my brother and his fiancee, and my parents. Not just that, but every Saturday before Memorial Day my parents host a big bash with all my aunts and cousins and their families, so not only am I in the place of so many memories, I am among a people of so many memories, those who "knew me when."

But as much as I love going home, I think I love coming home even more. We have no roots here, in this place, save those we ourselves have laid in the nearly eleven years we've lived here, but it is home for us.

I am a homebody in the truest sense of the word. I enjoy going--home to my parents', on vacation, visiting friends and family--but there's nothing like coming home. It's funny, when we turn onto the highway that will take us to our town, and when we begin to climb the mountain on which we live, a sense of peace and anticipation, relief even, settles over me. We are going home.

We just returned yesterday from yet another trip out of town, and as I was sitting on my porch this morning, grateful for home, I thought of the fact that my joy in coming home is nothing in comparison to the joy that awaits in the coming Home to my true Home, eternity with Jesus in the presence of God. I do not know the day or the hour, but I do know that I am one day closer today than I was yesterday. This assurance of my Home that awaits fills me with peace and anticipation. I can climb the mountain of life in this world with confidence and joy because I know I am coming Home.

7 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I love the thought of our final home with Jesus. I memorized John 14:1-3. I've always been excited about seeing what Jesus is preparing for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
    Did anyone pinch your cheeks at the family gathering??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. It defines the very same thoughts I've had when it's time to come home from being away someplace.

    Excellent post, thank you!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I am a homebody,too! Going home to be with the Lord does sound like the best homecoming ever!

    Wonderful thoughts!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, DITTO to that, and Amen Sister, and Preach on! :o) I so can't wait for that day when we go Home to the house that Jesus is preparing for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no place like home; there's no place like Home!

    Lovely post, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are sympatico in the love of home. As I get older (I'm 44) the more I yearn for my real home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. It defines the very same thoughts I've had when it's time to come home from being away someplace.

    Excellent post, thank you!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete