Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hands and feet

Today we concluded Vacation Bible school. This year was a slight deviation from our usual MO: three days instead of five, a worship band and guest speaker, serving lunch instead of snack. On the whole a good experience, but I have to tell you I'm as tired today as any Friday of VBS past.

I taught fourth graders, only three of them, but I think we had a good time. We certainly talked about Jesus, which is absolutely my favorite part. All the other stuff--and isn't there a lot of other stuff?--I can take it or leave it. But sitting in a circle sharing about Jesus? It doesn't get much better than that!

Several years ago I was teaching VBS with a dear friend of mine. She and I are both of the let's-talk-about-Jesus approach, but in the classroom next door...well, let's just say they did things a little differently. The teacher was not from our church, but being an acquaintance of the director, was brought in to fill some gaps in our teaching roster. Anyway, one day they had spent the day painting footprints on posterboard or something like that. Nothing wrong with that. Absolutely not. But a youth remarked to me something like, "Wow! Look what they did!" To which I replied, and yes, with much sarcasm I fear, "Well, we learned about JESUS!"

I understand the necessity of jumping through a few hoops to generate some excitement, particularly when reaching children. Two of my three students came to VBS this year on our church van that made the trip to the trailer parks where they live to bring them to VBS each day. How I pray they had a fun time. How I pray that in the fun they learned that church is a place where they are loved and accepted. I pray that my helpers and I were the hands and feet of Jesus, loving, serving, and yes, playing. And ultimately I pray that because we loved them they can somehow grasp that Jesus loves them too, so much so that He would die.

May God take the seeds that were planted this week and reap a soul harvest for His kingdom! For His glory and His alone!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I can relate to your feeling so tired! What is it about VBS that brings that on?
    We too had a small group, only five but we had a great time. Most wonderful to me is seeing how VBS affects my children. Jackson was playing with his super heros and declared they were on "God's Team!" and Caroline wanted to go back to VBS last night at bed time.
    I am so thankful for our VBS both for them and for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 20 years ago, I was one of the kids bussed in from the local trailer park to a VBS. I didn't know a SINGLE thing about church, God or Jesus. I don't remember a lot about what I learned that week, but I never forgot it...and 7 years ago, I began visiting a church where I gave my life to Christ. The seeds you planted this week mean so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father Lisa and I ask you that you would continue to work in the lives of the children who attended their VBS-Lord, you know each one's story and you are the giver of their future. I ask Father that they would not only we little seeds that took root this week in their hearts, but seeds that will begin to germinate unto Harvest. Lord, we desire their souls to be saved and we know that you desire NONE to be lost- So God will you move in these children and in their families and bring them to salvation-that they too can impact others for your Kingdom. Bless Lisa, bring her refreshing from your hand-thank you for using her to influence others. Let she always be filled with You- so she will be ready to talk some more about Jesus.

    In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

    thanks for sharing Lisa..

    Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hats off to all teacher's at VBS's everywhere. It is a real sacrifice that is much appreciated. I'll never forget the impact on me when I visited one (or something along the same idea) many, many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying right now for those little hearts too! Lord have mercy on them and bring them to a full saving grace in You...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fabulous post, as always!! You should head on over to my blog when you get a chance...there's something you should see. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. With you, I desire for the seeds to bear good fruit and that never would the hoopla of excitement be seed that doesn't take root. Painting feet is great, but teaching about how He washes our feet is better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your passion for Jesus. It's awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete