Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mirror, mirror

We had some addition / remodeling work done in our house a little over a year and a half ago. Please note: a year and a half ago. In an effort to save on cost, my husband and I agreed to do the painting ourselves, our bathroom being one of the rooms requiring a re-paint. We began well, got the first coat on all the walls and even the second coat on most, save one or two. Then I guess life just got in the way and to make a long story short, I finished the painting in our master bath just a couple of weeks ago.

And no, despite the obvious, this is not a post on the evils of procrastination.

For the past year and a half, our full length mirror has been propped up against one of the walls that was awaiting the second coat of paint. As a result, the only image able to be seen was from the neck down and then at a slight angle due to the mirror leaning up against the wall.

That is, until a couple of weeks ago, where upon completion of the long awaited and overdue paint job, I finally hung the mirror in its proper place on the wall.

And discovered I much preferred it in its previous location.

I guess I had gotten used to the somewhat distorted image due to the leaning angle and all. I now see a truer reflection, but let's just say I don't much like what I see. Before, it may not have been a true image, but it sure was one I preferred!

It makes me think of James' metaphor of a mirror representative of the Word of God. God's Word penetrates and exposes, showing us as we really are. Yet sometimes we prefer a somewhat distorted version of truth, because, hey, it makes us feel better! Like my mirror propped up against the wall, we prefer to see an reflection of ourselves that's not completely false, but not completely true either. We pick and choose which truths we prefer, often leaving out the truth that makes us uncomfortable all the while preserving our self image and self esteem.

I may not always like what I see, but I am thankful for the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth as revealed in God's Word. There I see myself as I really am yet I also see my God as He really is.

Half truth is no truth.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
2 Cor. 3:18

6 comments:

  1. Lisa, Lisa on the mirror
    You have touched a spot so dear.
    Love the post you wrote today
    May the truth go on display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half truth is no truth, for sure. I really enjoy how you can bring the everyday experiences in to illustrate truth. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! And James is one of my favorite books. Our pastor is preaching through it right now on Wed. nights and last night God pretty much put me in my place. I'm still squirming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been tagged again...
    Please decline if you'd like to. No pressure, no worries...
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/eating-out-meme-favorite-restaurants/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm a new reader. I think I got here from givengraceblog.blogsome.com I've only read two posts but I'm liking what I read! :) I'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful insight! I miss yourregular reflections since I have been taking a break from blogging!

    ReplyDelete