Monday, July 16, 2007

How do I love Thee?

Tracy has tagged me to post five things I love about Jesus. To quote Tracy herself, only five? What do I love about Jesus? Everything! As I study His Word and learn more of Him, my heart is stirred to greater affection, greater wonder and even greater praise. We will never plumb the depths of all there is to know of Him, not in this world...but one day...one day we will see Him face to face and we will know even as we are known, glorious day!

I've been meditating on the incident in the life of Jesus where He meets the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well as recorded in John 4 . I'm going to modify the meme a little in that I want to share some of the things I've learned about Jesus--and therefore love about Jesus--there in the details John provides for us:

1. Jesus had to go through Samaria. Sure, it was a more direct route, but it was not the common route for Jews of that day. They hated Samaritans of every form and fashion and thereby chose a more circuitous route. But not Jesus. He had to go right through. This tells me He refuses to submit to cultural norms, that He reaches out even to the despised and hated and rejected. No one is beyond Him. It also tells me He has purpose, plans for a future and a hope, for the Samaritan woman to be sure, but for me too.

2. Jesus, tired as He was from the journey, sat down by the well. Jesus, fully God yet also fully man, experienced hunger, thirst, and here in this passage, fatigue. What a picture of His humanity, He who made Himself nothing, being made in human likeness, humbling Himself to the point of death on the cross. Jesus, the Word made flesh, God as a man, offering Himself as a perfect sacrifice...

3. Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" He asks her a question. The thing about questions, they require interaction. And interaction prompts relationship. He is seeking this woman; He was there at the well before her; and now He draws her into conversation. How amazing is His grace, that He seeks! He draws! He initiates! We love Him because He first loved us, because He sought us and drew us to Himself!

4. Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." He is the indescribable gift of God! He offers salvation--He offers Himself--without price to those who ask. He is the living water and we need never thirst again. He fills. He satisfies. Not just a few drops or a mere trickle, but a spring of water welling up to eternal life. Overflow. Fullness. Abundance.

5. He told her, "Go, call your husband and come back." Jesus confronts her sin--and mine--directly, honestly, and specifically. Her sin problem was huge. My sin problem is huge. He asks her to confess her sin, not hiding, rationalizing, blaming, ignoring, nor any of the myriad of ways we often claim to deal with our depravity. Let's look at our sin for what it is, and see that He calls us to come to Him for forgiveness, cleansing, redemption. And note the Samaritan woman's response: she keeps talking to Him, continuing the conversation, even referring to Him as "Sir." No longer bound by her shame, she retains her dignity. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!

I know the rules state five, but I'm adding one more thing I love about Jesus here in John 4...

6. Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he." Most commentaries I've read agree: the "he" is left off and Jesus is saying, "I AM." Just as God revealed Himself to Moses as the great I AM, so too is Jesus revealing Himself as the self-existent, eternal God who is. What is your biggest need? What is it you really want? Not the new house or the new job, but deep down, what is it you require? He is! Bread of Life. Living Water. The Way, the Truth, the Life. The Good Shepherd. The True Vine. Savior. Redeemer. Deliverer. Lord of lords. King of Kings. The Lamb slain. All knowing. All powerful. All sufficient. He is! The glory of the gospel is not heaven nor any of the other multitude of blessings God has for His own; it is this: God Himself. Knowing Him. Loving Him. Enjoying Him. Glorifying Him. Seeing His glory in the face of Jesus Christ. Glory to God, He is!

9 comments:

  1. Words can't describe how incredibly awesome this post is.

    How amazing it is to reflect on the greatness of our Lord.

    Thanks for another great read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great thoughts! I like them all but #4 is my favorite...and thanks for posting #6 too...glad you broke that rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blogs ... you are so open and honest and thoughtful with your postings!

    ~lisa~
    www.godwhispers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Lisa! I loved reading this! there is so much to gleam from what Jesus did while on Earth... he walked and talked the Living Word...He WAS the living Word. Thanks for pointing me to that today!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I love this post. Jesus is precious, isn't he?

    ~Sumi~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise Jesus! Thank you for sharing this thoughtful meditation. I think John is my favorite book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a newbie to the blog world. It is posts like this one that keep me coming back. What wonderful insights into God's word. I especially loved, "The glory of the gospel is not heaven nor any of the other multitude of blessings God has for His own; it is this: God Himself. Knowing Him. Loving Him. Enjoying Him. Glorifying Him. Seeing His glory in the face of Jesus Christ. Glory to God, He is!". Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of the woman at the well makes me reflect on the day I accepted Jesus into my life. How gentle and loving He is! What a wonderful, beautiful Savior and Friend we have! It just makes you smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful answers. I love how this meme is painting a wonderful, personal picture of Jesus through all of blogville.

    ReplyDelete