Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Legacy

One day last week I watched a portion of a television program featuring the dresses Princess Diana donated to be auctioned off for charity. One lady purchased a couple of dresses merely as a financial investment; another hoped to garner more business by displaying one of the Princess' dresses in her shop window. Some were collectors. Two sisters, both American if I'm not mistaken, combined their funds to purchase a dress once worn by the Princess. In the course of the segment, one of the sisters proudly displayed her collection of Princess Diana memorabilia, dolls and figurines mainly.

One by one, the owners of the dresses spoke of their excitement in owning something that once belonged to Diana. Each described their eagerness to try the dress on, to see how it would fit, to imagine the Princess wearing that same clothing.

Each also shared their shock and horror at Diana's untimely death not too long after the auction.

As a young girl, I was completely taken with the shy Lady Di. I was absolutely fascinated by the pomp and circumstance inherent to a royal wedding. I clipped newspaper and magazine articles, voraciously devouring every detail from the ring to the dress to the glass carriage. I set my alarm and awakened in the wee hours of the morning to watch the wedding on tv, live. It was pure romance, a fairy tale come true. Or so it seemed to my young mind.

As Diana's fairytale faded, I was busy taking care of my own castle and raising princes of my own. I well remember stopping at a local restaurant in Luverne, Alabama, on our way to my parents' home from visiting some friends in Florida. There, as we entered the restaurant, I glanced over to the newspaper bin and caught the headline: Diana was dead.

It was incredible. So young, so beautiful, so loved by so many.

And now it has been ten years since her death and her legacy lives on, in her sons, in her charity work, and so it would seem, even in her dresses.

I wonder: would she want to be honored by a collection of Barbie-type imitations? By dresses she wore once, perhaps for only a few hours? By one and then another and then another tell-all book, each promising her true story?

We can't always choose our legacy, that's true. Certainly in the case of Princesses living life in the fish bowl. But that very fact--that we can't choose our own legacy--ought to propel us, yes, even us, the non-Princess types, to live deliberately, knowing the choices we make today will have a ripple effect tomorrow.

I must deliberately live today how I want to be remembered tomorrow. If I could choose my legacy, what would I choose? How would I hope to be remembered? What mark do I want to leave?

While sometimes I act as if the most critical legacy I could leave is something as trivial as dresses or dolls, it is my sincere desire when I pass from this world to the next that others could look back on my life here and say:

That girl loved Jesus with everything in her. He was her passion, her joy, her Life.
Now may I live like it.

18 comments:

  1. I was completely taken with Princess Diana too. And, was devastated when she passed away. But, what you posted about us non-Princess types leaving our legacy is so true.
    I also hope that I am remembered for loving God with all my heart and soul and for telling others about what Jesus did for us all.

    BTW - Have you been to DC yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I want to provoke others to 'jealousy' and see something in me that makes them want to love Jesus more! (I fall a bit short here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I was curious about her seemingly fairy tale life at the time as well. But her death was so tragic.
    I recently attended a funeral and it forced me to think about what others would say about my life, especially my children. They see me everyday, the real me. This was a great post Lisa! Your writing always encourages me, inspires me and causes me to think. The summer has found me busy, but I am still here reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Lisa. As my sister in law is fighting cancer and going through treatment it has really made me think about the legacy that we leave behind. What we live for here is so so important. Life is a vapor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! That's the kind of legacy I want to leave behind as well. ((HUGS))

    PS: I will complete my tag post soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to be remembered as a mother and wife who wanted to glorify the Lord in all she did. I hope, even through my failings of always living this way, that this is what would be remembered.

    I agree that it is very important how we choose to live our days...Good thoughts.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I was introduced to your blog by my friend, Joy. When reading your blog, for those of us who don't know you in a physical sense but only a blog sense, you are absolutely leaving a legacy. In all that I have read thus far that you have written, your love for our Savior is shining through! I am strengthened quite often through your writings. It's amazing how many people you will touch and therefore touch others in their lives as well. Your legacy is long and rich!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for that sweet legacy to be real in your life dear Lisa. May we all shine with His light through and through. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great food for thought. Thank you. A great reminder to focus on what legacy we want to leave when trivial things tempt us to respond in trivial ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is exactly the way I would remember you!

    Loved the part about being in your own castle and raising your own princes! Great way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of sliver.

    Thanks for the apple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, beautiful post my friend.

    It reminds me of something I read which was engraved on a headstone. The parents of Dr. James Dobson were buried in the cemetery where I worked. Under James Dobson, Sr.'s name the remembrance read, "He prayed."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen! I want to leave a legacy for Jesus, too. But, what do you mean "non-Princess types"? Are you not a daughter of a King? The King? Girlfriend, we have more treasure in Jesus than Princess Di ever had on this earth! Maybe we should have a bloggy coronation day or something for all of "us non-Princess types."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leslie:
    I stand corrected! You are so right, we are daughters of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords--Princesses in our own right, absolutely! My word choice was perhaps unfortunate, because I meant that even we whose lives are comparatively ordinary and sometimes trivial indeed have the opportunity to also leave a legacy. Thanks for helping me clarify! Let us live lives worthy of our calling as Princesses, daughters of the King!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too, want to leave a legacy as a woman who loved Jesus with all I am. Yes! May I live a life worthy of that calling! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful leagacy that truly would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post, Lisa. And a confirmation to the post I wrote at Faith Lifts last Tuesday on the legacy my Godmother left.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post, Lisa. And a confirmation to the post I wrote at Faith Lifts last Tuesday on the legacy my Godmother left.

    ReplyDelete