Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Slice of Life

Just as fair warning: this is one of those "slice of life" kind of posts, the kind I always enjoy reading on other blogs, but posting one myself always feels a little like I'm cheating you the reader, because, well, a slice of my life is pretty boring ordinary.

We returned from an out of town trip late Sunday night. Here's what awaited me the next day, Monday, yesterday:
10:15-11:45 Older two sons' tennis clinic
1:00-3:00 Oldest son basketball open gym
3:30-4:45 Third son's tennis clinic
5:30-7:45 Soccer camp for husband and three sons
6:30-8:00 Football camp for second son
Not to mention a (necessary) trip to the grocery store, and the mounds of laundry that always follow a trip out of town! And yes, very often it does seem that all I do is get in and out of the van!

Next week isn't much better: basketball camp, football practice, soccer play days. Add a trip to DC for me and my husband, me getting the house clean for grandparents to come keep the kids, not to mention all the prior planning and list making for said grandparents, plus a family trip to the beach...

I told a friend via email that I felt like our whole summer is crammed into these two weeks!

As I said, we just returned from an out of town trip, this time to my parents' in honor of my brother's wedding. It was a wonderful time of celebration, and so sweet. His bride is a hometown girl, much to my mom's delight. Their wedding and all the accompanying events prompted much reflection, at least on the part of my husband and I as our anniversary--sixteen years!--was Friday. Hard to believe it's been sixteen years! As my husband said, it's been the best sixteen years of his life. For me too. I would do it all over again and end up here, sixteen years, four kids, and just a few address changes later, more in love than ever.

And yes, we were terribly young sixteen years ago. Mere children, I tell you.

As you probably know if you've been a visitor here for any amount of time, I teach a community Bible study for women on Monday nights. We've been on break for the summer, as we do each summer, but for some reason this time around it has felt like we've been on break forever! We begin again next month, August 20, and I am excited and nervous at the same time. I've relinquished my regular teaching role in Sunday School, so it's been awhile since I've done any teaching, hence the nervousness. Nervous or not, I cannot wait. Studying God's Word with a group of women is my joy and my passion. I love it. I can't not do it, no matter how nervous or insecure I get. How fervently I pray that God would take this small group of women committed to the study of His Word and do more than we can even imagine--He already has! I began this group four years ago, another milestone that is hard to believe. We prayed then and we pray now that God's Presence would be the distinguishing mark of all we do. If He's not in it, we don't want it. But He has been in it. Huge, in fact. God-sized huge. And we eagerly anticipate His continued faithfulness to us...

Enough random ruminations on a Tuesday morning. And there you have it: a slice of my life. Perhaps a more meaningful post will make an appearance tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa :o) I really enjoyed the slice of your life. It's good to see beyond the "ruminations and ramblings" of bloggers. Although I always love when you share spiritual stuff too. In fact that's what's kept me peeking into your blog for the last two months, since I found your site. Enjoy this time with your kiddies. My next week will be spent unpacking boxes. Ugghhh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the slice! Congratulations on your 16 years. Praying that God continues His blessings on your Bible study. I am always grateful to be a part of one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your slice of life, a little glimpse into you and where you are coming from. For example, I didn't know you had four children as well. It makes me feel more connected. I so understand your next 2 weeks, and I know how relieved you will be when they are over.

    I just wanted to let you know what an amazing witness you have been for me. I, who am striving to have the kind of relationship with Jesus that you obviously do. I feel as if I flounder a lot lately, but you make me want to work harder, read more, spend more time, share more. You are doing a wonderful thing sharing here. And I thank you.

    But keep throwing in the slices of life. They make you more relatable I think

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this glimpse into your everyday life! I am amazed at how much you are fitting in -- I get stressed out when I have one or two things a day to get the family to!

    For the first time in a couple years, I'll be joining a community Bible study in the fall. Between a new baby and my natural introversion, I stepped out for a while, but am looking forward to getting back into studying God's word with a group of women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...how I wish I could attend the Bible Study!!!! :-) Loved reading your slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa Superior,

    I always love hearing other's days are so much like mine....

    Blessings on your study! What are you teaching this go round?? I've always got to get in my bible study friends' study business..:))


    from Lisa, not the Superior...haha

    (How many ways are we going to find to abase ourselves to one another?? lol))

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the greatest blessings come out of the ordinary slices of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all Congrats on 16 yrs. This year will be 10 for us~ crazy, but FUN! I am so excited for your brother too. Married life is fun!
    Secondly, let me empathize w/ you about getting your house ready for the grandparents to STAY there. That's just way too much stress for me. :p
    Thirdly, I was listening to a Jason Upton worship CD and thinking about how much I wanted to gather together w/ a group of women to worship our Lord. I am praying about gathering maybe once a month somewhere, anywhere. I will pray that God continues to move in your Bible study as I know He will, and that He will pour out a new spirit on you all, that His rain will flow amazingly over each of you and that He will be more real to you all now than ever before. Exciting times to come, can't wait to read about them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this...I did not know your boys were such athletes! How fun! Your days sounds busy and full.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ladies bible studies too! There is just a whole different element to them.

    Wow, you've got a busy 2 weeks.

    And Happy, Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that was quite a busy day. We are on a self impossed sports break for the summer. We start up again in a few weeks but it has been wonderful to not have to run around for a little while.

    Your love for God overflows in your posts. I am sure your next study in his word will be fabulous.

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa, I am very thankful that you are willing to share with us a piece of your day as well as the wisdom that God has given you. It's all very meaningful :-). Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this...I did not know your boys were such athletes! How fun! Your days sounds busy and full.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this glimpse into your everyday life! I am amazed at how much you are fitting in -- I get stressed out when I have one or two things a day to get the family to!

    For the first time in a couple years, I'll be joining a community Bible study in the fall. Between a new baby and my natural introversion, I stepped out for a while, but am looking forward to getting back into studying God's word with a group of women.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all Congrats on 16 yrs. This year will be 10 for us~ crazy, but FUN! I am so excited for your brother too. Married life is fun!
    Secondly, let me empathize w/ you about getting your house ready for the grandparents to STAY there. That's just way too much stress for me. :p
    Thirdly, I was listening to a Jason Upton worship CD and thinking about how much I wanted to gather together w/ a group of women to worship our Lord. I am praying about gathering maybe once a month somewhere, anywhere. I will pray that God continues to move in your Bible study as I know He will, and that He will pour out a new spirit on you all, that His rain will flow amazingly over each of you and that He will be more real to you all now than ever before. Exciting times to come, can't wait to read about them! :)

    ReplyDelete