Friday, August 03, 2007

An attitude of gratitude

In a recent post, Kim at The Upward Call wrote the following:
"there are things going on that I wish weren't really going on. I have had that thought for a while, and it's not nice to wake up and wish you could just sleep in order to avoid thinking about it."
To which I attempted to comment: ME TOO!

(I say "attempted to comment" because somehow my comment got eaten, never to appear despite several attempts. So, Kim, if you're reading this, know I tried to post a comment!)

Rather than indulging in her denial, Kim took the offensive and instead counted her blessings. Her post reminds me of a lesson I often forget, especially in times of trial when hiding is so much more attractive than persevering: gratitude forces me to look beyond my circumstances and my desire for avoidance and to look to the goodness of my God, prompting me to an eternal perspective, resulting in praise of my God who is full of grace and mercy. I think of the verse in Thessalonians that entreats us to be thankful IN every circumstance, not necessarily FOR every circumstance. Thanks, Kim, for the reminder to be grateful even when my feelings want to suggest otherwise.

In following her wise example, I now count my many blessings, being especially thankful today for:

The kindness of our God to lead us to repentance. There is no condemnation for we who are in Christ Jesus and it is out of His love for us that He brings us to conviction! What is done in secret He will bring to light--He is faithful.

Our God who holds the victory. Our enemy is real, he is personal, and he roams about like a lion seeking to devour us, but He who is in us is greater! Our foe is defeated! Our God will reign and we are more than conquerors through HIM!

Friends who pray. I need not offer details or particulars, but I ask them to pray and pray they will and do. I am thankful for that kind of friendship. I am also thankful for two friends whom I've never met that prayed on my behalf..

I am not alone in the fight. I mentioned my friends who stand in the gap, but I am also grateful--exceedingly so--for my husband who stands by my side. We fight the good fight side by side. I can not imagine doing this alone. I am grateful for his support, his love, and his commitment to me, to our family and especially to the Lord Jesus Christ.

God's promises. He gives wisdom to those who ask. He will be good to those who wait on Him. He will be found by those who seek with their whole heart. He will never leave us or forsake us. These light and momentary troubles are achieving for us a greater weight of glory. The peace of God that passes understanding. He knows what we need. His grace is sufficient. All His promises are YES in Jesus Christ!

I am also thankful for...
The grace and mercy of my Savior.
My four children.
Our home.
The privilege of serving Jesus by teaching His Word.
Our family--parents, siblings, cousins, grandparents, nieces, nephews...
For all this, and so much more, I thank my God, the Giver of all good things...

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thess. 5:16-18

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, I needed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not alone in the fight.

    That's something I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad to have you back home!! We've missed ya'll and I have especially missed the blogs. Love you Lisa and thanks for this blog especially. It's good to be reminded of the blessings He has poured out on me even in the midst of tough times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you and Kim for posting about struggling righteously. I often read blogs and appreciate hearing the many wonderfully sweet things people share. Sometimes though I wonder, am I the only one with marital struggles, children issues, times of faith testing? I appreciate honest, transparent posts. We can encourage one another in these areas as the body of Christ.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! It is hard to remember to do rejoice and be thankful when everything seems to be going badly. Thank you for sharing your reasons for rejoicing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not alone in the fight.

    That's something I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so glad to have you back home!! We've missed ya'll and I have especially missed the blogs. Love you Lisa and thanks for this blog especially. It's good to be reminded of the blessings He has poured out on me even in the midst of tough times!!

    ReplyDelete