Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fiery trials

"that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ"

"do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you..."
~1 Pet. 1:7, 4:12

Fiery trials. Just as metalworkers use flame and heat to burn off dross and impurity, so God uses difficulties and trials to prove our faith pure and genuine.

I think I'm there, in the fiery crucible. Literally. For instance, the other morning when I came down to the kitchen at six a.m., it was SEVENTY EIGHT degrees outside. At six a.m. In the afternoons, when I am picking the kids up from school, the temperature gauge in my van reads ONE HUNDRED THREE.

This ought not to be.

And the impurities that are being revealed? I fear God has had no choice but to turn up the heat, especially during the hour of 2 pm to 3 pm when I and nearly every other citizen of my town are in car line awaiting school dismissal. Fiery trial, indeed. Let's just say much impurity of my heart is being revealed and not so much praise, honor and glory. I mean, more than once I've found myself hoping no one recognizes my van!

Can God use the unmerciful heat, oppressive temperatures and impatience-provoking mess of car line to refine and strengthen my faith? He not only can, He does.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
~James 1:2-4

One hundred-plus degrees. A stationary mass of too many cars in too small a pick up area. An impatient mom of four, hanging on to the promise of God, counting it pure joy.

10 comments:

  1. I'll be in our car line again starting tomorrow afternoon as our kids go back for their first day of school, also in 103 or so degree heat. I think my fiery trials have also been over the last week or so as the boys have been fighting and I've been struggling to keep my cool and parent them well, in spite of the temptation to quick temper.

    I do thank God that we have that promise that we can count it all joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-We are facing the oprressive heat as well. It really does test the patience and one's dedication to getting things done. I admit that I become slothful and have trouble serving others when I am just so physically uncomfortable!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you should come to the mountains! It was a high of 68 today and has been in the low 70's this week...you can rub it in when I am complaining this winter that it didn't get above 15! This is really the best time of year now and for the next few months. We have a great summer/fall...then the COLD comes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing that you're able to find the joy in the trial. I don't do heat well -- it makes me sick -- and we've had around 100 here too. Right now it's 83 degrees and it's 10:20 at night. But when you look at it with a spiritual perspective, it does make it seem just a little more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekah: I was in that fiery trial as well last week prior to school starting--it does try the temper!

    Jenny: you and me both.

    Tracy: yes, please, can I come visit? Even 15 degree highs sound appealing! :-)

    Tristi: I may have misspoken. I should've said "an impatient mom ATTEMPTING to count it all joy!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope things have cooled down for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just reminded me of yet another reason I love homeschooling!

    But it is okay, I get my fiery trials another way. It is a marvel tho, at what things God uses to mold us and try us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, everything can be used of God to build our characters. Sometimes it amazes me how really small the thing can be that will potentially set me off and present me with a choice to react or to act God's way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing that you're able to find the joy in the trial. I don't do heat well -- it makes me sick -- and we've had around 100 here too. Right now it's 83 degrees and it's 10:20 at night. But when you look at it with a spiritual perspective, it does make it seem just a little more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa-We are facing the oprressive heat as well. It really does test the patience and one's dedication to getting things done. I admit that I become slothful and have trouble serving others when I am just so physically uncomfortable!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete