Friday, August 24, 2007

Lost and found

Last night I caught a portion of CNN's special, "God's Warriors." This particular episode highlighted various pastors and other Christian leaders waging their own brand of war against certain segments of our culture: eniviromentalism, for instance, or the conflict in the Holy Land.

I have no thought provoking response, although there was certainly much to provoke thought in the report. No, my thought this morning is this: more than once reporter Christiane Amanpour described a particular individual's conversion experience by saying "he found God."

I didn't find God. Rather, in His glorious grace and unfathomable mercy, He found me!

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."
~Luke 19:10
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him...'Lets have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'"
~Luke 15:20,24

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound! I once was lost and now I'm found!

7 comments:

  1. It always strikes me that these "warriors" are very short-sighted in their aim. As much as the environment is important, it pales in comparison to the real enemy: disregard for God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! Someone asked me the other day if I was a practicing Christian and I said NO. I don't "practice" it. My faith guides who I am, I live it, I breathe it. (I blogged about this, if you ever get over there, check it out!)

    I am so thankful that God found ME! And I am thankful for people like you. Even though we don't know each other, there are so many times that you have opened my eyes, or made me say "YEP!"

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the language of "warrior" in any other context except when we're talking about souls.

    Keith Getty has a song that states it perfectly (O Church, Arise) "O Church arise and put your armor on, hear the call of Christ our Captain. For now the weak can say that they are strong in the faith that God has given. With shield of faith and belt of truth we stand against the devil's lies. An army bold, whose battle cry is love, reaching out to those in darkness."

    The second verse has a line in it I like, too: "A call to war, to love the captive soul, but to wage against the captor. And with the sword, that makes the wounded whole, we will fight with faith and valor."

    This is so distinct from other religions who use langauge like warrior, infidel, etc. Christianity can use language like this, too, except the sword is the Word of God, and our battle cry is not "Kill the infidels" but "Love!"

    I'd be interested in watching this. I know this comment is a little off topic...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the CNN special as well. I love these verses you shared in response. It sure was as interesting perspective of American Christianity, I agree with your declaration that He found me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. It is amazing, absolutely amazing, that God would save someone like me. Words cannot adequately express the praise He is due.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad He chose to save me!
    It is amazing grace!

    ReplyDelete