Thursday, September 13, 2007

Little did I know

A number of years ago, when our firstborn was our only born, we were renting a ninety year old house in a wonderful neighborhood with other older craftsman style homes, wide sidewalks, and the high school just a couple of blocks down the street. Ours was a corner lot, and our neighbors' house to the left of us was only separated from us by their driveway, thus giving us firsthand knowledge of their comings and goings. Which was plenty. They had three children, two of which were school age, although I can't remember how old exactly. What I do remember is my amazement at how often they would pull in the drive, pull out of the drive, pull in, and pull out. Go. Come. Go and come again.

Little did I know.

Little did I know how quickly that stage of my life would pass and that one day--this day--their life would be mine as well. Very often it seems all I do is get in and out of the van. In and out, in and out, go and come, come and go. To school, home from school; to soccer/football/basketball practice, home from soccer/football/basketball practice; to church, home from church. You get the idea.

As a young mom with nowhere to go and no place I needed to be, when my time was my own, dictated only by the needs and whims of my baby boy, I could not conceive of this kind of life, where the calendar is so full one needs a magnifying glass to make out the scribbled obligations in each day's allotted square.

People ask me all the time how I do it. In fact, I often ask myself the same thing. I honestly don't really know, except that I just do it. Most days I enjoy it; some days it's overwhelming; some days I just want to run away and hide; some days I wish so badly for those days of observing my neighbors' hectic lifestyle and secretly wondering how and why anyone could live that way.

How do I do it? I generally answer that it's only by God's grace and it is. Our Father knows what I need and He offers grace according to my need. As your days are, so shall your strength be...

I can only depend on His grace, one day at a time. Each day's trouble is sufficient...Give us this day our daily bread...

My life here in this stage is crazy, no doubt about it. It's a whirlwind to be sure. But even in the frenetic, frantic pace I often find myself in, I can know this: His grace is sufficient. And one day, my boys will be grown, this stage will pass as quickly as it came, and I will think, "Little did I know..."

11 comments:

  1. How right you are, sister! Every season of our lives, I suppose, will be met with "little did I know"!!!! I'm still in that first season you talked about, and I love it! But I'm told by all the mom's around me who have school-aged children that this season is only a season....and soon I'll be on the run like them! And most of them homeschool!!!! But still, there are coop classes, sports, serving in the church, ect, and those things become more and more with each child!

    But when I look at their lives.....I just see those mom's serving....serving so diligently the one's who the Lord has called them to! And that's what I see you doing too! Your serving your boys!!!

    Praise the Lord for sustaining grace, and all the more be lavished on you, sister!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just beginning to understand this frenzy with my oldest in soocer, gymnastics and equestrian lessons right now (not to mention school)...I know it gets worse (the toddler is in her own stuff too!). I agree, when you have just a little tiny baby, life revolves around naps, mine and hers, and gladly so. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I honestly don't really know, except that I just do it.'

    Amen sister...This is my standard answer as well...:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, only by His grace. If I think too hard about it all, I just stress right out, so I take it one at a time and just do and thank Him for the strength, stamina and memory to not forget one of my children somewhere. :v)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I so appreciate and understand your words. I wondered how and why moms with older children were so busy, but now I know. My car is in and out of the driveway so often that I sometimes wonder why I even come home! :-) It's all good, though, and I praise Him for giving me the strength to serve my family in ways that help them to become all that God desires them to be.

    Please keep posting; you're an encouragement to me.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Craftsman homes. My parents both lived in Logan UT -- they met there, and the place has a lot of Craftsman homes. I wish there were more down here where I am -- I'd love to live in one. They just seem to have so much more room and closets than other houses.

    Thanks for your thoughts on grace, as well. I know for sure I would never even get out of bed without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People ask me how I do it all the time, and my answer is the same. With grace. God's grace. I require an extra helping. :)

    I have heard people say that we will look back on these scrambling about times with wistfulness when they have passed. I wonder if it's true. Time in the minivan with four kids, it's hard to imagine I will ever miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just making that transition; my daughter started first grade and my son two-morning-a-week preschool just last week.

    It seems every stage of life has its own joys, its own struggles and its own rewards, doesn't it? I try not to take one minute for granted. It's all a gift, precious beyond words, even when our day-to-day living is in the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes and amen. And as we say very often at our house "this too shall pass" blessings on this season of your life...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're becoming more and more hectic with our schedules here as the boys get older, too. I so much want to remember to enjoy the kids instead of just getting through it, because I know one day I'll look back and wish for these days. How that makes my heart hurt to think about. But so many days it really is all I can do to just get through it, nonetheless. And God is so good....all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just making that transition; my daughter started first grade and my son two-morning-a-week preschool just last week.

    It seems every stage of life has its own joys, its own struggles and its own rewards, doesn't it? I try not to take one minute for granted. It's all a gift, precious beyond words, even when our day-to-day living is in the jungle.

    ReplyDelete