Sunday, September 16, 2007

On my porch on a Sunday afternoon

I'm no good at descriptive writing, but how fervently I wish I were, particularly on today of all days! I am currently sitting on my back porch, laptop in lap, coffee cup on the table beside me and the most brilliant blue sky above me. The weather finally hints of fall, my favorite time of year.

It is one of those flat-out gorgeous days yet words escape me. Try as I might (and this is like my third draft) I cannot capture the beauty and the brilliance of the sky, the sunshine, the breeze.

I am sitting out here, blogging at this very moment (obviously), but with the primary motivation of preparing for Bible study tomorrow night. The beauty around me; the living, powerful Word before me...surely the presence of the Lord is in this place! Surely heaven is something like this, except, of course, the sounds of the lawnmower across the street and my children arguing in the backyard. And to think, this beauty, this splendor, this glory we behold on days like this, all are only a shadow of the fullness of glory to come!

The earth is full of His glory!

6 comments:

  1. The weather here this weekend was inspired me to want to write as well. The heat here in the south has finally broken and I thought the same thing. Surely heaven could be no more lovely than this day. But it will be, and that just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me you did a pretty fine job. The beauty of God's nature is sometimes very hard to put into words. It's been beautiful like that here too, so I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is why I like the song "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me. Because there is NO way that we could ever come close to the FULLNESS of God's imagination unloaded. Never. ...so the song gets me every time. ;)

    I'm with you; I LOVE Fall. And I'm thinking it just kicked summer's heatwave to the curb! *doing a chair dance*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes. This is one of the reasons I love to go camping. My mind and my heart cannot contain the wonder and majesty expressed through His creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seeing it! I'm feeling it and hearing it...Especially the lawn mower!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, we're getting hints of fall, too! And it's my favorite time of the year as well. Thanking God for the gift of enjoying this day.

    ReplyDelete