Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Random thoughts on a Wednesday morning

I am sick. Some kind of sinus stuff, with the main symptom of feeling just plain rotten. I doubt that I can string together any kind of coherent thought; instead I offer the incoherent. Some random items on my mind this morning...

A big thank you for all the birthday blessings you sent my way! Side note to Sojourner: reminding someone they're actually in their fortieth year does not make the thirty ninth birthday any more enjoyable...I'm just sayin'... :-)

All in all, it was a good birthday yesterday even for one in her fortieth year (ha)! Stopped by the bakery for a doughnut and a fried croissant for breakfast, watched "Pride and Prejudice" for not-the-first-time; in short, made a long and lazy day of it before the kids got home from school and the tempo picked up a bit with homework, practices, etc.

About Bible study, can I just tell you our God is so good...this past Monday was one of those nights...the Presence of the Holy Spirit was so thick and our conversation so rich that words fail me. It brought tears to my eyes as I tried to describe it to my husband after the fact. Oh, God is so good, I can't hardly stand it...

Speaking of Bible study, for those of you who expressed a desire to join us (see comments here): Come on down! The door's open and we'd love to have you! Well, okay, so perhaps we can't really get together, at least not in this world, but certainly the next... (even so! )

Our fall soccer season officially kicks off this Saturday (yes, bad pun very much intended) and what an opening day it will be! Four team picture appointments, five games; throw in a football game and yes, we'll be at the rec center all the live long day. I am unspeakably grateful the one-hundred-degree-plus weather has abated!

I've been pondering the ideas of transition and change. I've always said I hated change, but that's not entirely true. Some changes are welcome, like changing my sheets for instance, or my hair style, or my boys changing their socks. It's the unexpected change that gets me, change that I'm not prepared for and the outcome of which is murky and uncertain at best. I think my dislike of change is rooted in a desire for control (and listen, I know I'm not alone on that one). And my desire for control? It's really unbelief. I crave control because I don't believe God can handle it. It's rebellion, essentially, rebellion against His sovereignty and His authority.

And finally (as in the final random thought for this laundry list of random thoughts, certainly not the final and last thing on my mind today), something our iterim pastor said this past Sunday has stuck in my mind: we worship what we attach the most worth to. What do I esteem as most valuable? That is what I worship. Worship is essentially the placement of worth...

I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.
(Phil. 3:8)
Worthy are you, our Lord and God...
(Rev. 4:11)

6 comments:

  1. He is worthy! Hoping your sinuses get back to normal real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even your random thoughts are good to read! Thank you for sharing. Wish I could be with you all on Monday nights....

    I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are feeling the sinus crud. The Z-pack I took for my own back in July zapped me back to health. I will be with you on your soccer field in spirit, ours in reality as our season starts this Saturday as well. And BTW, where is that fried croissant recipe that we keep hearing about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you feel so bad. My son and I had the same junk and I know how bad it can be.

    I heard a similar sermon recently on "what we value most" and "are we worshipping what is in our hand?" Powerful stuff - really made me stop and think.
    Thanks for your input. I always enjoy your posts - even when they are random.
    Praying for you to get well quickly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, just went through sinus junk. The first day was bad, the 2nd okay and today I just have snot (nice, huh?), but I am much better. I will be praying for you. I enjoyed reading your random thoughts. :) I have been praying for you and your Bible Study. I am so excited to hear how God is moving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday.

    Fried croissants. I've never heard of them before you mentioned them. Nice birthday treat.

    Hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete