Saturday, October 20, 2007

Daily bread

It's been a long week. A very, very long week. My husband's been out of town since Tuesday. Yuck. We've had like twenty thousand games and practices, all at the same time as another twenty thousand games and practices. Yuck. I locked my keys in the van and my husband has the other set with him. Yuck. My son wakes up this morning throwing up. Yuck.

Let me just say to any single moms who venture this way: yours is no easy task. I've thought to myself more than once this week: "if I can just hang on til Sunday...." You have no such reprieve, no such reinforcements due to arrive in a few days' time. May God grant you His strength and wisdom as you raise your kids solo and may He show Himself faithful on your behalf!

A friend here in real life recently visited my blog if not for the first time, at least for the first time in awhile. I saw her the other night while I was waiting on the retrieval of my keys from the front seat of my locked van. She told me of visiting my blog, and says, "I don't know how you do it. You have more kids than me, you write on the internet, you do this and serve here, and..."

Well, I didn't let her get very far without freely admitting I am barely keeping my head above water. This fall has been crazy, more so than ever, for a variety of reasons. Many days my first thought each morning has been, "I can't do this."

But I get up, do what I can, do what I have to, and somehow make it to do it all again another day. One day at a time, it's all I can do. If I were to look too far down the road I might never get out of the bed!

My friend was relieved to know she wasn't alone, and aren't we all? What makes us think others admire our (perceived) perfection?

I'm here to tell you: you are not alone. This girl does not have it together in any form or fashion. Not today. Not tomorrow. Certainly not this past week.

I take it one day at a time, wholly and completely dependent on the grace and provision of my Lord Jesus. As I come to Him, weak, weary, heavy laden, desperate and destitute, He gives me daily bread, strength and sustenance. I can do nothing apart from Him. I can do all things through Him. He strengthens me. He carries me. I am weak, overwhelmed, and inadequate, but He is strong. When I cast my burdens on Him, I discover His tender care and unfailing love.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Give us today our daily bread. Mattew 6:11

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

12 comments:

  1. One day at a time is perfect. I have to admit, though, sometimes it is one hour at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, oh, boy, oh, boy can I relate to this post. My husband's been gone for 4 1/2 weeks and will be home on Wednesday. I so understand the "if I can just hang on until..." mentality, and I should be praying more for the single moms out there, also. This girl is no where near perfect, either.

    Learning to truly cast all my anxiety on Christ is no easy task, but it's where I want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well stated! Often people see just a sliver of our lives and they don't realize that we do struggle. If it weren't for God's goodness and sustenance, we might all be uttering the words of John Bradford, "There but for the grace of God, go (I)."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lisa! Once again, just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister - we are all in the same boat! I completely understand. My step-daughter was married yesterday so our world has been more hary-cary than usual.

    Let's all hang in there together! You have my prayers.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you have had such a difficult week. I'm glad it has sent you to the lord for strength and encouragement! Thank you for saying what I often feel - it is such a blessing that we are not alone, our circumstances are idividual, but not entirely unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I praise the LORD that He does all these things! My last few weeks have been super busy and I HAVE to get up super early to spend time with the LORD and ask for His help to not go completely crazy during my day that lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate. Without Him, I don't know where I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, encouraging post, Lisa! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your helpful post, my husband has been away Mon to Fri for the past three weeks, he's home for two weeks then away abroad for three weeks, with no time home at weekends. I sure wouldn't choose to be a single mum ! I think the past three weeks are likely the Lord training us for the weeks when he's abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One day at a time, sweet Jesus! And Elisabeth Eliot's timeless advice to "just do the next thing." With two very busy days looming ahead of me, this post of yours was a balm to my soul this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, encouraging post, Lisa! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete