Monday, October 01, 2007

My treasure thou art

It was All Request Hour in church last night. Well, not exactly an hour, but we were able to request our favorite hymns. It was a lot of fun singing many of the old hymns of my growing up years--although two of my favorites "Blessed Assurance" and "Victory in Jesus" were both passed by--as well as discovering others' favorites. I was one with hand raised who was selected; I requested my favorite, "Be Thou My Vision," more specifically asking we sing the third stanza, to which the director obliged:

BE THOU MY VISION

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art;
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word;
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Riches I heed not, or man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'n's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

11 comments:

  1. The a capella group called Acapella (oddly enough) has a version of this song that makes me weep. It's so sweet to see the words written out on your lovely blog. I got me a blessin' today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine, too!

    I can't sing the fourth stanza without tears springing to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one and this summer my son learned to play it on his trumpet...so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, haunting song. One of my favorites as well.

    And a much better choice than "Wonderful Grace of Jesus," which is what I (senior pastor's daughter) and my close friend Todd (music pastor's son) would always request. We mostly chose it so we could sing the harmony a little off-key and get raised eyebrows from the folks sitting near us.

    We thought we were hysterical. Needless to say, our dads avoided our raised hands during All-Request Hour.

    Teenagers! (Insert eye roll here.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my very favorite hymn! Thanks for posting the words this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this too. I have been belting it out lately after just listening to it by Ginny Owens. AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome - love it! we had the same kind of service on Sunday. Hmm - soemthing was in the air!! Praise!!!!!!!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa - there are lots of smart people out there who love "our" hymn!!!!!!!!!!!

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  10. All Request Hour?! Sounds like a great time--Be Thou My Vision is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love that hymn and was able to sing it all. Got all teary eyed over the message.

    I just have to somehow get across to my son just why these old hymn are so important. My daughter already loves them and knows many.

    ReplyDelete