Thursday, October 04, 2007

On my mind

I have this overwhelming feeling that I need to apologize to you, the reader of this blog, as it would seem here lately my posts have been totally devoid of any substantive, meaningful thought. I feel as if I am playing catch-up with my life, always late, always one step behind, always frantically doing just-enough-but not-quite-enough. It is, in an e-word, exhausting. Any time I spend here on my blog, or yours, feels like a too-costly indulgence. Yet, at the same time, I have that overwhelming compulsion to toss my thoughts and reflections out here on the keyboard. Blogging is a compulsion, yes, an outlet, an avenue, a way to sift through the various twists and turns of my journey, holding them up to the light of God's Word and seeking to understand more of His Person and His ways.

Despite my lack of posting anything meaningful, I actually have much on my mind itching to find forum here on the world wide web. I've been pondering 2 Corinthians 6:17 with Paul's imperative to "Come out and be separate" (quoting an Old Testament passage) and how little separation exists between those of us who claim to follow Christ and those who do not. Our wants, our desires, our joys, all bear little distinction to that of those who are not the blood bought children of God. We dress like the world. We laugh like the world. We want the same things the world wants. In contrast, God has commanded His people to live different, as distinctively His. I have to ask myself, in my pursuits, pleasures, priorities, do I live a life marked as belonging to God?

Also on my mind: fearing God. Does it seem strange to speak of fear in regard to God? We discussed this very question in Bible study a couple of weeks ago and determined ours is a God of love and grace, yes, to the praise of His glorious name. Yet He is also a God of justice and wrath and we are to "be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt. 10:28) Certainly we can overemphasize His justice and thereby minimize His grace, but we can also overemphasize His grace and minimize His justice and power. A proper understanding of both will prompt us to praise Him for His perfect justice and His merciful grace.

And to cap off the week of All Things Trivial in regard to blog posts here at Lisa writes..., I must conclude with a word about my hair. Apologies to my male readers, ex baldy and Sojourner and any others who venture this way, but I have to confess I am struggling with hair issues. To make a long, boring story shorter but still boring no doubt, I got some highlights about a year ago just as a lark, with no real intention to take the full hair color plunge. Yes, you can see exactly where this is going. One highlight job gone bad a couple of months later, and I am so stuck in the haircolor cycle. Not only that, but my current fake color seems too red and too brassy and not my dark blackish brown prior to the whole coloring debacle. I miss my real color, gray and all! But I have no idea how to stop the madness!

Just goes to show how one (seemingly) small insignificant decision often has much bigger ramifications than initially realized, bearing out a ripple effect.

Looks like there's something meaningful there after all.

16 comments:

  1. I wouldn't want a God who wasn't BOTH just and loving. I think they're inseparable.

    I'm with you on the meaningful blog post thing. Maybe today something will strike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently wondered about this passage (seperate...). For example, is it a physical seperateness or a spiritual one, a combo of the two. Of course, we are supposed to be morally different, but how much physical "differentness" is needed by Christians. I don't know, I always want to be a woman who furthers the cause of Christ and I wonder how much seperation is needed to do this. Good thoughts for a Thurday morning, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in the hair cycle myself and actully just went around the circle one mroe time yesterday.. ugh!!! dark, light, brown, yellow, red, gray, chocolate................it goes and goes. i am not sure my hair knows what color to be!!

    have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Yours is a good question: how separate is too separate? Certainly we are placed in this world, not to retreat into some kind of communal isolation, but just as you said, to further the cause of Christ. I think we have to ask ourselves, who is influencing who? Are we salt, making others thirsty for Christ? Or are we chasing after the same false gods as our unsaved neighbors? Are we light, piercing the darkness with the glory of Christ? Or are we blending in to the degree that our light is dim at best?

    We cannot and ought not retreat from engaging in the world, but I am saddened that sometimes our only distinction is from 9-12 on a Sunday morning while the rest of the week we live just like everyone else.

    I was bought with a price. I am not my own. I belong to the King of kings and the Lord of lords who gave His life to set me free from the ways of the world.

    May I live like it.

    Thanks for your comment!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thought provoking. I actually dislike the term "God Fearing". It seems better to say "God Loving", esp talking to someone who doesn't know God. You don't want them to be afraid of Him before they get to know him. Does that make sense?

    I understand the hair dilemna also. I want to do something to my hair so bad, but I am "hair fearing" that I might mess it up, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit my struggle with being separate. I long to be, but find that not long after I put my Bible and journal aside, I'm in the midst of the world again...wondering how I got there. In fact, I wrote a post on that recently (it's titled Seeking)

    God fearing...I'm with you, I don't think we fear Him enough. If we had one little clue of just how amazing He is, we'd be quaking in our boots. Our culture trivializes Him all too often, and I think Christians are guilty of that as well.

    Finally...hair color...I think the only way is to suffer through & let it grow out. At least your hair is short, so it shouldn't take too long. Like other commenters, I've been there myself.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa,

    Are we living parallel lives?

    (Only I'm about 20 years further down the road)

    I could have written that post (if it weren't for the writer's block) I've been thinking of some of the same things.

    And I just dyed my hair darker to match what I think is my natural color so I can get off the hair coloring merry go round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,

    Thanks for stopping by & spending some time at my blog. I hope you'll be back! I appreciate your thoughtful words.

    I'm glad to have found a fellow Austen-lover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another thought about seperateness, Lisa... After reading your response and what others have been saying, I think that I am just trying to live each day and each action in that day the best way I know how for Jesus. Sometimes that means being seperate and making choices for my family that make us feel weird. Sometimes that means standing in a group of other soccer parents and laughing at the kids kicking the ball in the wrong goal. I guess, for me, it is trying to focus all of my energy toward Jesus, and at the same time it is filtered through my daily life and actions with my family. Great discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, like so many of these awesome women who respond to your posts have recently thought about the fact that I want my life to show fruit to the world. I want to be a City on a Hill and if I am consumed by the world then my light is dimmed! I want to be different, but not so "holy" that others are turned off. I want them to see Chrit's love for them through me.
    I had to do the hair thing a while ago. Here's what you do... you dye your color as close as you can to the natural color and then just let it grow out. It might take a few cuttings to get through it. Then, if you don't want to deal w/ the coloring any more, my friend just uses waterproof mascara to cover up her gray! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I agree w/ the e-challenge or maybe it is the blog challenge. I have been struggling with being "too spiritual" and being "too worldly". I realize (thanks for the reminder) that I need to be seperate from the world and just be ME... novel idea!
    I think the hair thing is universal. My husband never knows what my hair will be when I come home from getting it fixed. The color, cut and style never turn out the same! Sure glad he loves my brown EYES! They don't change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, were you listening in on our dinner time conversation??? We were just discussing how Christians should look and/or act different and not be drawn in by the things the world says are important. Our older kids had quite a heated discussion with us about this one.

    As for your hair, I will hold it up in prayer this week. May it have a miraculous transformation.

    My daughter informed me last night as she was so sweetly brushing my hair "Mom, you really need a root job, they are very dark." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, I can always count on you to give me something beautiful to think about on Sundays. What a beautiful message; I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I'm new here, so you don't have to apologize to me! :)

    I think you're hair is cute!
    Can't see the color real well, but just try something new and have fun.

    So glad to have "met" you!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I'm new here, so you don't have to apologize to me! :)

    I think you're hair is cute!
    Can't see the color real well, but just try something new and have fun.

    So glad to have "met" you!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa,

    Thanks for stopping by & spending some time at my blog. I hope you'll be back! I appreciate your thoughtful words.

    I'm glad to have found a fellow Austen-lover!

    ReplyDelete