Sunday, October 28, 2007

Today

Today I retreat. Not to some far off, exotic locale, but rather to the (relative) quiet of my bedroom. Today chaos surrounds me, and should any one of you drop by my home today unannounced, no doubt you would find cause to judge me for the pigsty we call home.

But today I let it be. I will deal with the chaos tomorrow. Today I choose refuge and rest. Today I lie in my bed with laptop, book, and coffee. Today I read and pray and rest and perhaps watch an old movie on tv.

Today I fast. Today I pray for God's will to be accomplished and for His power and His glory to be revealed. Today I acknowledge, "This much I want You," even as I hunger physically. Today I desire to be satisfied with Jesus, the Bread of Life, and today I ask for His mercy as I wait on Him, my portion and my share.

Today I hope and my hope moves me to weep. Today I see the goodness and faithfulness of my God and today I rejoice in Him, my joy and my salvation. Today I can say the Lord is good! He is good to those who wait on Him!

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know why I don't do this more routinely; it is the kind of soul-refreshment that is so necessary. Thanks for the remider...and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious, Lisa! Thanks for reminding me that He is my portion:

    Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
    My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your faithful example. I need to make sure I actually rest on the Sabbath instead of catching up on all that wasn't done the rest of the week. Your post was part of my refreshing today.
    God bless you,
    Gena

    ReplyDelete