Friday, October 26, 2007

Whom shall I fear?

One morning a few days ago, I was out on the back porch, enjoying a cup of coffee and my time with the Lord. That days' devotional reading contained the following verse:

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Ps. 27:1)

I find myself in something of a trial where my faith is tempted to falter and doubt looms. I am often worried and anxious, stewing and fretting. As I read the Truth of God's Word contained in those verses, the Holy Spirit began to reveal to me that my stress was only a mask of my real problem: fear.

And isn't it true for all of us? We fret, we worry, we stress, we seek to be in control because deep down we fear.

And because our God is faithful and His Spirit will do the good work of conviction, He began to force me to analyze what I was so afraid of. What do you think will happen, Lisa? What do you fear the most in this present situation? What exactly are you afraid of?

Talk about gaining some perspective! As I faced my fear and apprehension, laying them out one by one before the Almighty, All Powerful God of heaven and earth, I realized just how foolish...and self centered...and ridiculous my fears were in light of His power and sufficiency.

Am I not able? His Spirit seemed to say. Is anything too hard for Me?

This morning, I read these truths:

The Lord reigns. ~ "Do you not fear Me?" says the Lord. "Will you not tremble at My presence...?" ~ If God is for us, who can be against us?

What is it that keeps you bound in anxiety and worry and stress? Deep down, what is it you fear? God is indeed for us. He reigns in power and sovereignty. Let's take our burdens it to the One who is able...

10 comments:

  1. oh lisa, how timely. yes, the underlying symptom is fear in me. fear of the unknown, fear of not having enough, fear of failure, but God is my strength, my light, my shield! thank you for reminding me of this truth.

    i always enjoy your blog, i'm so glad i found you. gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Amen and again I say Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I feel like you have unmasked my life! You really did hit the mark with this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautifully written post, Lisa, full of truth and wisdon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you read the two passages you wrote in your blog...
    The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Ps. 27:1)
    AND
    The Lord reigns. ~ "Do you not fear Me?" says the Lord. "Will you not tremble at My presence...?" ~ If God is for us, who can be against us?
    Why does it have to be so hard not to trust sometimes! Don't you just want to say, DUH! Although, you put it a lot more eloquently. ;)
    Also, continuing to pray for a wonderful, revealing fast for you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, often find myself fretting and worrying over situations in my life - senseless and needless worry. What a wonderful relief it is when I finally realize that I can lay down all my burdens to my Father and let Him take care of me and the situation.
    Thank you for this beautifully written post. You are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the wonderful reminders of God's Word regarding our fears. I'm reminded afresh that God just wants me to turn over my human anxiety and let Him take care of my problems for me. I so enjoy reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again - thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. I so enjoy your visits to my blog!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've reminded me that God has commanded us many times in His Word to not fear. So what do I do...fear. When will I finally get it that with Him on my side there is nothing to fear anywhere, anytime or anything.

    Thanks. :)

    Elaine @ http://akhmmm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again - thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. I so enjoy your visits to my blog!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete