Thursday, November 08, 2007

He knows what's best

Yesterday as I was out and about running errands, I ran into one of my friends who is currently battling breast cancer. Although we have talked and emailed, I haven't seen her since her ordeal began. We hugged and spoke just for a second before I had to return to the check out line to pay for my items. As I was swiping my card, I overheard part of her conversation with another couple behind me. As they chatted, I heard my friend's unashamed testimony of her faith in the faithfulness and sovereignty of her God. Wearing a pink beret due to hair loss, her body scarred from an invasive double masectomy, my friend boasted that God knew what was best for her and she trusted Him, believing Him to work out His good, acceptable and perfect will to His glory.

As I consider the depth and difficulty of my friend's trial, I am ashamed of my own indulgent pity party. She's lost her hair, her health and some degree of her independence, yet she is confident that the Lord God can and will use this circumstance for her good. He knows what's best for me, she claimed.

Can I say the same? Can I say that whatever comes to me, I will trust the God who knows what's best for me? Can I rest in His sovereign purpose, believing His goodness and His faithfulness? I ask for the faith of my friend, the faith that says "Yes, Lord, whatever You ask of me, I trust You and my answer is Yes."

11 comments:

  1. Only by God's grace...
    I ask for that faith too.
    blessings on you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, even if it's the size of a mustard seed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!!!! Every time I hear about somebody's experience that seems SO hard, and their faith in response....I just get weak.....will I respond with faith too, Lord? Or when we sing songs at church that challenge this.....like Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be your name! Oh.....will I bless His Name??? Lord, let us bless Your Name!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in situations like your friend is going through, we have no choice but to have tremendous faith. We would surely crumble otherwise. I've walked through some fiery trials, but I find it harder to trust in the "little" everyday things of life. I wish it weren't so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ask for that kind of faith as well! I have been angry & doubtful (dare I say it) at times only to soon realize that He is my portion, His grace is sufficent & He will be glorified! What a good, gracious Lord we serve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened to a song earlier that said something like "I will say Hallelujah to anything you send my way"...I wondered if I could? Good reminder to trust Him thru anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful testimony. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I hear of others sufferings, It humbles me to realize that I am so utterly pitiful...my faith seems so weak compares to others...I know God gives grace when we need it...so I can trust in Him carrying us through whatever happens in this life...but I am still weak and fearful.

    And ungrateful at times...

    What a wonderful testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing--God is using her trial to minister to YOU, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think in situations like your friend is going through, we have no choice but to have tremendous faith. We would surely crumble otherwise. I've walked through some fiery trials, but I find it harder to trust in the "little" everyday things of life. I wish it weren't so.

    ReplyDelete