Monday, November 26, 2007

Significance

The real cultural bondage today is not that too many people are making God radically God-centered, but that most people cannot conceive of his being loving unless he is man-centered. ~John Piper


Last night I caught a portion of an interview with a prominent televangelist. As she was describing the main points of her latest book, she began with the premise that significance is rooted in identity. Therefore her book is an attempt to help others discover their uniquely wonderful identity, passion and glory. Okay, so she didn't say their glory, that's my take on it, just so you know.

Looking for significance in my identity has been at various points in my journey an ongoing pursuit of mine; I might have called it purpose or calling or destiny, but what I wanted more than anything was significance and I believed I was to find it within me. My passion. My calling. My accomplishment. My destiny. My dreams.

Yep, my glory.

There's a lot to be said for our identity in Christ. Just check out Ephesians 1 and see all that He has done for us who belong to Him. We are blessed, chosen, adopted, holy, blameless, redeemed, forgiven--to the praise of His glorious grace, which has freely given us in the One he loves!

But it doesn't make me significant; rather just the opposite. I was dead in my transgressions and sins, I followed the ways of this world, gratifying my sinful nature, an object of wrath in rebellion to God and His ways, despising His Son. But God, because of His great love and the richness of His mercy, made me alive even when I was dead. It's by His grace I've been saved. There is nothing in me to deserve or warrant His grace.

His grace and goodness to me only confirms my insignificance and His glorious significance. Consider the following:

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30

I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal. 2:20

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for me will save it. Luke 9:23-24

Becoming less. Taking up my cross, an instrument of death. Losing my life. Being crucified.

I no longer, but Christ...

Here is the Biblical view of significance: to live is Christ. His glory. His renown. Making Him significant.

8 comments:

  1. I saw that interview, as well. It concerned me to know that so many people "follow" her teachings and do not seek the ONE who should be glorified.
    Very well said! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just today a Bible teacher was speaking on the topic of counting the cost to follow Christ. She commented that if we consider that the Father's will cost Christ His life, then how dare we believe that identification with Him is nothing but a cheap, easy, self-fulfillment road that denies His power and glory?

    My toes hurt. May we cling to Him alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. May we learn to die to ourselves, cling to Him and honor and glorify Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote from Piper. I'm writing that one down for future thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful post, Lisa! Much to think on here! That's the second time today I have seen that John Piper quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post...to make much of Christ....that is what we should be doing...you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're spot on. We've got to be careful about thinking through assumptions and exhortations and checking them against the Bible.

    ReplyDelete