Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas reflections

And so another Christmas has come and gone. Well, not exactly gone, as all of our decorations remain in place. I haven't yet found the energy to tear the house apart all over again.

It was a good Christmas, not without its frustrations, but good. Family, food, giving, receiving, we were truly blessed, and then some.

And now we recover. I saw an acquaintance in line at Wal Mart yesterday and she asked if we had a good Christmas. We did, I told her, and now I am trying to recover. I did nothing, or at least as little as possible, for two straight days. Finally yesterday I summoned the energy to at least run the vacuum and wash the dishes.

My boys had a wonderful Christmas, particularly if you count a good Christmas as getting nearly everything you asked for, and then some. We gave my second son a guitar; my oldest son still has a guitar that has been on loan to him for a couple of years now, so there has been much pickin' and grinnin' going on. As one who has zero musical ability, I love it and am amazed that someone can actually teach themselves "Jingle Bells," even with a book.

I enjoy having my boys home, and they will be home for several more days as school doesn't resume until the 8th. However, one of the random things about me is that I love my solitude! With four children in the house who no longer nap, who stay up way too late, and one in particular who gets up way too early...well, solitude is hard to find. Surprisingly enough, I am typing this random post all alone; generally speaking, if I am attempting some creative composition, there at least two children clamoring for my attention, or hanging over my shoulder.

I think my nerd status is pretty firmly established, so I am not embarassed to tell you that I am reading Pamela Aiden's "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" trilogy. You know that Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite novel, and in these books Aiden tells the story from Darcy's perspective. I have finished the first, An Assembly Such As This, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Aiden is not Austen, but her perspective into the character of Darcy is intriguing and as I said, very enjoyable to read.

I also received On Writing Well for Christmas, which as you can clearly see I have yet to read.

Well, the coffee's done brewing and the son who gets up way too early has made an appearance. I have much to be thankful for this Christmas: Jesus' sacrifice, my salvation, my husband and children, our family, our health, and God's provision. I've told you before, but I am thankful too for those of you who pop in here to read these humble thoughts. I pray your Christmas was one of worship and celebration of the indescribable Gift of Christmas, Jesus Christ!

10 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa, we gave our son a guitar too. Although he is finding it much harder to play than Guitar Hero. I think lessons are in order. ;)

    Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book too. I have read the whole Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series and mostly enjoyed it. Book 2 was a little difficult because it introduces so many new characters. I ended up having to make a list of all the new characters and how they are related to each other. Book 2 also also takes a few very odd twists and turns, but it is worth getting through to get to book 3. While reading the series I was wondering if Pamela Aiden is a Christian. She talks a lot about Providence, and Georgiana seems to be interested in Evangelicals of that time like William Wilberforce. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. I'd love to hear your opinion on book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are finding that guitar hero is far different from the real deal!

    I've also been intrigued by the faith elements in Aiden's novels. In the back of one of my books, in an q&a, she mentions Mrs. Annesley being a reflection of her faith.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I just put those books on my reading list at my library's website! I can't wait to read them. Pride & Prejudice is my all-time favorite book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We gave our youngest a guitar, too. My older son is a guitar genius, and not being too encouraging, unfortunately. Older son got a mixing board and has been concocting all kinds of musical interludes. I, too, value my solitude, and have only found it at about 6:00 am these days.

    Now, that Darcy trilogy you mentioned sounds like something I'd like very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat as you as far as solitude. With three teens staying up later and later, I find I am never alone.

    Sounds like you had a nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too crave solitude. I think it's hard to have mutilple children and not, but for someone who used to consider herself social I find time alone becoming more and more important to me. I would love to know what you think of Writing Well, although I think you do a wonderful job already. Sincerely I do.

    I am glad you Christmas was nice and I am glad you had a couple days to recover. We stayed in our PJs for two days as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love on writing well. i try to read it once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I just put those books on my reading list at my library's website! I can't wait to read them. Pride & Prejudice is my all-time favorite book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lisa, we gave our son a guitar too. Although he is finding it much harder to play than Guitar Hero. I think lessons are in order. ;)

    Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book too. I have read the whole Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series and mostly enjoyed it. Book 2 was a little difficult because it introduces so many new characters. I ended up having to make a list of all the new characters and how they are related to each other. Book 2 also also takes a few very odd twists and turns, but it is worth getting through to get to book 3. While reading the series I was wondering if Pamela Aiden is a Christian. She talks a lot about Providence, and Georgiana seems to be interested in Evangelicals of that time like William Wilberforce. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. I'd love to hear your opinion on book 2.

    ReplyDelete