Friday, December 28, 2007

A dilemma

Y'all know I teach Bible study, currently on hiatus. We actually haven't met since the end of October in order to coincide the conclusion of our fall study with the beginning of middle school basketball season. You see, we meet on Monday nights at 7 and my son's team plays Monday nights at, you guessed it, 7.

I have missed it and missed it terribly. I've realized how much I crave the accountability and community our group provides. I've told you here on this blog as I've told them personally numerous times that studying God's Word with this group of women is a privilege and a responsibility I do not take lightly. Their presence and participation in something God called me to do is evidence of His grace and goodness to me, as to us all, each one of us.

Well, the plans were to begin again in January, which happens to be coming up soon (2008--can you believe it). However, while my first son's season will be over, my second son's schedule has him playing Monday nights through the middle of February.

What's a mom who is also a Bible teacher to do? What's a Bible teacher who is also a mom to do? It's a dilemma. I hate to prolong the start of our study, especially as late as mid-February. I love teaching Bible study; it is my passion. I do not want to give it up, not in the least, but I would be lying if I told you it wasn't hard balancing ministry and family. Just as much as I miss studying God's Word with my Bible study girls, I hate to miss my son's games. I love watching him play and supporting him with the whole mom-in-the-bleachers role.

I've been praying and praying diligently for direction or release or maybe even a solution I haven't thought of yet. I would love to teach a day class, but nearly all of my Bible study participants work. We attend different churches, so the typical church times would preclude some of us from participating due to attending our respective churches.

I am certain God has an answer. It remains the clear goal of our group that God's presence go with us and distinguish everything we do (Ex. 33:15-16). We will follow Him. But if I am honest, my fear is I will misunderstand His direction, that the clamor of life and the pride of my sin will deafen the sound of His voice. He has promised to make His will known to those who seek; will I hear? Will I heed?

8 comments:

  1. I would feel very torn about this as well!

    Praying for a solution to become known to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tough call. What about moving your study to a different night (or even Saturday morning) for a few weeks, until basketball is over? I did a lunch time study once, for working women. We found a church that was central to everyone & the Pastor allowed us to meet there. It was short, because of time constraints, but God really used that time.

    I know He will lead you to His answer. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa has a great idea. Is it possible to move the time of the study at least temporarily? Most women I know (at least the ones who are passionate about Bible study) would much rather mess with their schedules for a few weeks than put off the start date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A power lunch sounds like a good idea to me.

    I'll pray that you see a solution soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    I found your blog from another blog and decided to pop in for a visit. As a mom of 5 and a writer/ speaker, I often have to dance that delicate balance between family and ministry. Each day I ask God for wisdom and He richly gives it--- I also ask God for my assignment for each day. Sometimes I go to my kid's games and sometimes I miss for a ministry activity. As long as I am living for an audience of One, it somehow all works out. Maybe you could meet every other week for a lunch and then on the other weeks miss the game for the study. Just a thought~
    Sweet Blessings,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    As a Pastor's wife and mom, I understand how difficult these decisions are at times.
    My first thought was a different night of the week, but I know that is not always easy to find one that will work.
    I pray the Lord would give you direction and you will find peace with it.

    In the meantime, could we gather for coffee and the study of God's word? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family is crucially important and your #1 priority, but you gain so much from meeting with these women and I'm sure you all get the strength you need to get through the week by reading the Bible together. I wonder if another day of the week wouldn't work as well, or even a Sunday night. It's a wonderful use of a Sunday. Of course, not knowing the other ladies' church schedules, I don't know how that would work, but this is important and you will find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your fear about not hearing because of all the sin in me. I know that God will keep His promise to answer those who seek, YET I know that I don't always listen when He speaks and when I do hear, I don't always obey. How can that be! When I really need His direction I claim the promises of the word and pray that He would close the door hard if I start to mess up again. So for you right now, I pray this prayer for you also. God bless your Bible Study!

    ReplyDelete