Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fall Reading Flunkie

Y'all remember Katrina's Fall Into Reading challenge? And my balanced, albeit ambitious reading list? Well, I must confess that I am a reading challenge flunkie. I haven't hardly read anything all fall, and what I did read and actually finish wasn't even on my list! But, as part of participating, I promised to deliver a synopsis, so here goes...

Katrina asked us the following:

* Tell us how you did. Did you finish all the books you had on your original list? If not, why not? Did you get distracted by other books? Were you too busy to read as much as you would have liked? And if you did finish them all, did you read more?

Of my original list, I finished two:
When I Don't Desire God by John Piper
Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin.

Books I read and finished that were not on the list include:
A Wrinkle In Time by L'engle
Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers
The Pawn by Stephen James
Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon

In the started-but-did-not-finish (yet) category:
Mayflower by Philbrick
A Bruised Reed by Scibbes

* Tell us what you thought. What book did you like most? Least? Did you try a new author that you now love? Have you written off an author as "I'll never read anything by him/her again!"?

I enjoyed all the books I read and finished, but none I would mark down as one of my all time favorites. I enjoyed revisiting "A Wrinkle In Time," a book I loved as a girl but haven't read in several decades. Thanks to Ellen B and Lana G's lists I have also become a Lord Peter Wimsey fan, but unfortunately have read all the Dorothy Sayers' mysteries in my local library (only 4). I was a little disappointed in "Home to Holly Springs," finding Father Tim's recollections somewhat tiring. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, I just didn't find myself engrossed by it.

* Tell us what you learned. Maybe you learned something about yourself, your interests, your reading patterns. Maybe you learned that you love/hate a particular genre. Maybe you learned some fabulous little nugget of truth from one of the books you read. Whatever it is -- please share!

I learned that I was correct at the outset: my list was merely a list of goals, not requirements. Thankfully I am under grace (right, Katrina?) and will suffer no ill consequence despite my flunkie status. I also learned that sometimes the pressures and responsibilities of life take precedence over reading, but that an occasional weekend of binge reading offers a great escape from that self same pressure.

Head over to Katrina's for more Fall Reading wrap ups!

2 comments:

  1. Well, we'll be flunkies together. I didn't stick to my list real good either. And I didn't finish everything on my list. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh absolutely -- grace abounds! I don't consider you a flunkie at all, since it looks like you read some good books this fall and in the end, that's all that really matters from my perspective.

    I really need to try Dorothy Sayers. And re-visiting A Wrinkle in Time sounds tempting, too.

    ReplyDelete