Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back to the real world

Well, we had a wonderful time on the retreat. I know I did. I haven't debriefed any of the other attendees but I'm thinking the consensus is that we all had a great time of good food, powerful Truth, fun fellowship with the girls, not to mention an intensely competitive game or two (I'm still mad I lost, but I'm learning to live above my disappointment. After all, the better woman won).

The Preacher's Wife is the real deal, honest, authentic, and unafraid to show herself vulnerable in order to show her God all-glorious. We are kindred spirits, she and I, with an amazing number of similiarities, and I am both amazed and grateful that our God can use something as crazy as blogging to cause our paths to cross and our friendship to bloom. What a God! Even the internet bows to His purposes!

Lisa encouraged us to be overcomers in the middle of overwhelming circumstances (and not just in a game of Apples to Apples between sisters), a lesson that was not to remain in theory but landed smack dab in the middle of my reality upon my return to the real world, as I came face to face with the many responsibilities this next week entails. Plus, my number three boy is sick, so I find myself at home instead of in church this morning.

Hello, overwhelming.

I have to confess my first response was to indulge a little, to wallow in my anxiety and give in to my stress. And fuss at anyone who would listen. But then I remembered the truths I had just heard and had to rehearse them to myself: look to Jesus, see Him as the all glorious Lord, fix your eyes on eternity, rest in Him, find Him sufficient and all satisfying.

That's how the Holy Spirit tends to work in my life: bringing the theory into reality, forcing me to actually apply the truth I claimed to receive. Sometimes, like today, I'm too dense to see the connection immediately, often guilty of carefully categorizing my life and refusing to see the overlap of God's Word and my sinful heart and present circumstance.

The Holy Spirit is faithful to do His job to teach us all things, reminding us what God's Word says (John 14:26), sanctifying us through and through, exposing sin and bringing conviction. God's living and powerful Word is not meant to remain an academic exercise...

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. (Is. 55:10-11)

It's not just theory; His Word and His purpose for which He sent it are meant to be realities in my life and yours. Want the reality of being an overcomer? Allow the sharp, double edged sword of God's Word to pierce your life and sanctify you through and through. Step outside the theory and see the power of His Word as He transforms you--you, not necessarily your circumstances--and reveals the image of His Son.

15 comments:

  1. So been tehre too sister. Great exhortation to apply the Word to our life and be DOERS not hearers only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's how the Holy Spirit tends to work in my life: bringing the theory into reality, forcing me to actually apply the truth I claimed to receive. Sometimes, like today, I'm too dense to see the connection immediately, often guilty of carefully categorizing my life and refusing to see the overlap of God's Word and my sinful heart and present circumstance."

    I LOVE that! Absolutely true for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God's living and powerful Word is not meant to remain an academic exercise..."

    The sword has been relentless lately with me in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever God pounds a truth into my heart, I can almost bet money that He's doing it because of a situation I'm about to run into.

    He's amazingly practical that way.

    Glad the retreat was such a success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you girls had a great time. I hope B gets better soon. Missed you at Chruch. JQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had such a great retreat.

    Good words to challenge me in the last paragraph. I must not shrink from the pruning I experience from the Lord, painful buut necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time at the retreat :)

    Even though is difficult at time, we must get into the practice of becoming doers of the Word, not merely listeners who pay no more than our lip service to the bible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He seems to equip us before we hit whatever road bump we're heading for.

    Sorry boy #3 is sick. Hope he feels better soon! and glad to hear you had a refreshing encouraging weekend. I feel I'm in need of one of those myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I loved our weekend together....I just hate it when we can barely turn around before it's time to put what we learned into practice! I hope your boy is feeling better. I have one home sick from school today. :(

    much love,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beatiful post Lisa! One that I think all moms could gain such sweet encouragement from. Thank you for your gut honest, sweet and sometimes sassy views on life.

    And thank you for praying for the cyclist's family. Oh, Lisa it is so sad.

    Keep praying sweet sister~

    Oh, and are you considering coming to She Speaks this year? I'd love to meet you in person.
    Sweet Blessings,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lisa,

    Thanks so much for the kind comment on Lysa's blog. I'm hoping we can all meet up at the She Speaks conference!

    I would've loved to crash the retreat y'all had this weekend! I think we need to have a special getaway for everyone named Lisa :D or Lysa!

    Sorry to hear your little one is sick. Hopefully he's better now!

    Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just checking on you to see if your boy's better or if more have come down with it - or if you have! Picked my highschooler up after school and he'd been having chills and sore throat all day. But heaven forbid he should go to the nurse!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa,
    You continually minister to me through your words. Thank you!

    I am glad your retreat went well. And what a blessing to have Lisa share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just checking on you to see if your boy's better or if more have come down with it - or if you have! Picked my highschooler up after school and he'd been having chills and sore throat all day. But heaven forbid he should go to the nurse!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,
    You continually minister to me through your words. Thank you!

    I am glad your retreat went well. And what a blessing to have Lisa share.

    ReplyDelete