Sunday, January 13, 2008

A book meme

Melissa at Breath of Life has tagged me with a book meme...

BOOKS THAT HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE:
The Bible
The Dangerous Duty of Delight by John Piper
The first in-depth women's Bible study I ever did: A Woman's Heart by Beth Moore had an irreversible effect on me. I had no idea such a thing as in-depth study existed, particularly not by women and for women. Through that study over 12 years ago, God began in me this passion to know Him and His Word and for women to know Him and His Word.

BOOKS I'VE READ MORE THAN ONCE:
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, which I've read more times than I could count
The Harry Potter series

BOOKS I'D WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND:
The Bible
Pride and Prejudice, as I have yet to grow weary of reading it!

BOOKS THAT MADE ME LAUGH:
Pride and Prejudice
Jan Karon's Mitford series
Ray Blackston's Flabbergasted

BOOKS THAT MADE ME CRY:
Charles Martin's The Dead Don't Dance

BOOKS I WISH HAD BEEN WRITTEN:
How to Raise Four Children Without Heartbreak and Stress

BOOKS I WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN:
hmmmm?

BOOKS I'M CURRENTLY READING:
On Writing Well
Eyes to See, edited by Bret Lott
The Bruised Reed, by Richard Sibbes, which I realize is a short book but for some reason cannot seem to finish

BOOKS I'VE BEEN MEANING TO READ:
My Antonia by Willa Cather (Chaotic Joy's recommendation)
Shopping For Time: How to do it all and not be overwhelmed by Carolyn Mahaney
Other classic novels: Dickens, Hardy, etc.

I won't tag (as per usual) but if anyone wants to consider themselves tagged, by all means...and be sure to let us know in the comments so we can check out your bookshelves!

11 comments:

  1. A BOOK meme! This is going to be fun. I'll link back to this post and let you know when I post it. (I finally finished and posted my response to Leslie's "strong-willed woman" poll.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great meme. It was a lot of fun! Check out my list at
    http://momala27.blogspot.com/2008/01/book-meme.html

    Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, yes, I do think we have a lot in common. I already have the DVR set to record the whole Austen series of movies. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I'll give this a little thought and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, did you know that the sequel to The Dead Don't Dance is out? It's called Maggie. I just got it, but haven't started it.

    I love his books. When Crickets Cry was so good also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got The Dead Don't Dance on my library list. I really want to get to that Darcy series you posted about earlier, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also LOVE Pride and Prejudice! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see your list---we have some similar favorites. I just ordered Shopping for Time from amazon, and will let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally got to it and got it posted.

    And BTW, I'm about half-way through Maggie (sequel to The Dead Don't Dance) and it's wonderful. Keep tissues handy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great book list friend! Thanks~

    My friend that loves your blog is reading "The Dead Don't Dance"--- great minds do think alike.

    I would read your book about raising kids without stress and heartache! Have you entered the writing contest over at my place? You should~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got The Dead Don't Dance on my library list. I really want to get to that Darcy series you posted about earlier, too.

    ReplyDelete