Friday, January 25, 2008

A couple of things, and all for our good and His glory

So I'm headed out on retreat later today, but I wanted to share a few things with you before I hooked up with Lisa and the ladies of my church for what we're praying will be a Spirit-filled, Word-drenched, life-transforming, God's-will-be-done getaway, complete with lots of laughter and chocolate (I'm bringing dark chocolate m&m's, so there you go).

One, this blogging deal is totally paying off. Remember when I told you that one of my favorite authors is Melanie Wells, whose novels The Soul Hunter and When The Day of Evil Comes are eerie, suspenseful, keep-you-up-at-night scary and really, really good? Well, check this out: I get an email from what I presume to be a marketing representative asking if I would like an advance copy of Melanie's third novel, My Soul to Keep, to read and possibly review on my blog. Would I? You better believe it! And guess what? The novel has arrived and I am fighting the temptation to nix all responsibilities and devour it. I knew I was a blogger for a reason...

Two, those of you who know me in real life know this to be true: one of the random things about me is I shake. My hands, that is. Like, you wouldn't want me as your dentist or barber. So, what do I do when my son manages to get a thorn imbedded in the side of his forehead and the more I attempt to maneuver the tweezers to pull it out, the more I shake? My husband generally takes responsibility for all fine motor skills this situation would require, yet he was out of town. I call my friend and neighbor, and as she is the very best kind of a friend and neighbor, she removes the very pesky thorn, no small task. I know she ventures this way occasionally, so, my good friend and neighbor, if you are reading this, know that I am thankful for our friendship!

Finally, in preparation for Bible study which resumes Monday (after a LONG three month hiatus!) with the study of Ruth and Esther, I ran across this statement in the introduction to Ruth in the MacArthur Study Bible:

[The book of] Ruth describes God's sovereign and providential care of seemingly unimportant people at apparently insignificant times which later prove to be monumentally crucial to accomplishing God's will.

Seemingly unimportant, apparently insignificant--seems like I live there. Sometimes I feel invisible and wonder how the great God of the universe could be concerned with the trivia that seems to constitute my life. Could Ruth have felt the same? Surely Naomi did, bitterly blaming God for her trials and heartbreak. Yet in their story we see God's sovereign purposes at work, the effects of which ripple through the centuries right up to the birth of the Messiah.

We are sometimes tempted to believe the lie that our lives are unimportant, insignificant, or a waste of potential. We, like Naomi, are prone to bitterness as we survey what is and what we thought should be. We think that surely we were meant for more than this, whether our this is changing diapers or scrubbing toilets or mourning a terrible, devastating loss or serving in anonymity in the far corner of the world. We wonder if God sees, if He cares, if there really is a purpose and plan to give us a future and a hope.

Take heart, sister. Whether you feel invisible, lost in the mundane and insignificant, or whether you suffer a heartache so heavy you feel as if you will not survive the weight of it, He sees. He knows. What seems insignificant and unimportant in our eyes may be monumentally crucial in the unfolding of His sovereign plan. Honor Him, in the big and little, and know that He will fulfil His purpose for you, His child. When we get to the end of this life, long or short, we who belong to Him will see and know that He is the God who works all things together, good and bad, big and little, joyous and heartbreaking, for our good and His glory.

11 comments:

  1. Dark chocolate M&M's. Now I KNOW you are a kindred spirit!!

    As usual, your post is a home run. Sometimes I think if I could just get a glimpse of what is going to unfold from all the little seemingly inconsequential things. . .

    But then it wouldn't be called Faith.

    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that you have a wonderful retreat and that lives are transformed!

    Thank you for sharing--that what we may see as insigificant, may be monumentally important in His sovereign plan. This gives new purpose and perspective to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI: You blog is paying off in the lives of others as well, women and men.

    I can think of no better to review a book than yourself. Just be honest, even if it stinks! (which I sure it won't).

    Keep up the good work and thanks for the influence you have on so many around you.

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, thank you so much for allowing God to use you.

    Have a wonderful time on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an awesome time on your retreat. Thanks again for an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful, restorative weekend!

    btw, I linked to one of your posts at http://devotions.pragmaticcom.com/2008/01/i-am-not-embarrassed.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your post! I linked to it through Mochawithlinda. I too love dark chocolate, and it's so good for you.

    We never know what God is going to do through our ordinary, seemingly insignificant lives. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty cool about the book review! sometimes our life does seem inconsequential and it's nice to be reminded that we have a purpose and how much God loves us. Thanks for a great post. Have a great time at your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lisa found your blog through Lisa-the preachers wife, you put it so well there are some many tiems I feel like life is passing me by and I feel very invisible in my ordinary insignificant life. Daily routines do I clean hose today or do my bible study,do I clean out the kids room or sit and read one of many books I start but never get through and then nothing happens the dish are not wash and the house is still a mess.And you wonder does any one notice me does anyone care at all ,Yes God does and only he knows why he has you where he wants you his plan he is shaping us ans making us out to what he has call us to do .thanks I need to hear that.marina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post! It is a wonderful reminder that whether knee deep in dirty dishes or laundry, God is there, He knows, He cares and He has a purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just feeling insignificant in my quiet time with Jesus, begging for Him to bring contentment to my heart as I sing the Hokey-Pokey, change diapers, and make grilled cheeses. Am I really playing a role in the Kingdom?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete