Sunday, January 13, 2008

More or less

Julie at Pragmatic Compendium challenged invited me to summarize my resolutions and goals for this new year in a single word. Yep, that's right, just one word. To quote Julie herself, "like bloggers can ever type just one word. Pass me that bag of Lays potato chips," which pretty much sums up the blogger worldview: words and more words interspersed with all things mundane.

Anyway, I did not forget her challenge invitation and have pondered it over the past week or so. My first inclination was to make my single word resolution "Jesus." Trite and somewhat cheesy, yes, but it truly reflects the desire of my heart to be about one thing, Jesus Christ and Him alone. I want 2008, as many days of it my God grants me to live, to be lived for the glory and renown of my Savior.

The second word that stays in the forefront of my heart and mind is "less."
Less stuff, more contentment.
Less chaos, more peace.
Less stress, more calm.
Less of this world, more eternal perspective.
Less Lisa, more Jesus.
I was reminded yesterday of Hebrews 13:5, "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" No doubt this subject will resurface as blog fodder for another post, yet I cannot help but think of my earlier observation of the radical nature of contentment in our affluent culture. The Truth of this verse cuts to the heart of our insatiable appetite for more, more, more, as it reminds us to be content with such things as we have because we have the MORE of God Himself, the Holy Spirit who will never leave us or forsake us.

In 2008, I choose less in favor of more.

16 comments:

  1. Really great word. I might add "Less fat, more muscle" myself. :)

    I think I'm becoming a minimalist. I was reminded of a triggering event recently when my friend Charlene at Busy Mom's Recipes (http://busymomsrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/01/filing-away-last-year.html) posted about a study we participated in together following a book: "Living With Less: The Upside of Downsizing Your Life" by Mark Tabb.

    I liked this book because it didn't focus on how to downsize, but rather, motivated me to downsize. It helped me to see what's important (and what's not). It may actually make it into my answers to the book meme you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I enjoyed your post. I'm working on less rather than more for 2008 as well. Now if I could just get the kids to do the same...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are speaking truth, girl! Sometimes I'd like to just take a bulldozer through this house!

    I really got convicted on this and have been much less shopping-oriented when I did Beth Moore's Daniel study and she talked about living in Babylon.

    And clearing out my parents' house a few years back (as Depression-era folks, they saved everything!!!) was a wake-up call as well. Even the sentimental things from my childhood that my mom had saved didn't have that much meaning.

    It's funny about "stuff". If things just disappeared, I'd never care or miss most of it. But sometimes it's the actual PROCESS of taking it from the shelf and getting rid of it that's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed to hear that!!!
    It should be less of me and more of God this year for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. could not agree more with you than what you said very well put!!
    marina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great word(s)!

    But can I say that the rest of us wouldn't mind more Lisa!

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, as always, Lisa.

    I think my one word would be "progress." Progress with my daily walk, progress with my relationships with family, progress in career and home, debt reduction, progress with moving toward the ultimate goals I have.

    It helps put things into better order when categorizing them into one word like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen!

    Great resolution! It's something I am working toward as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the "less" concept. This helps me focus on contentment--on what I have, instead what i don't and don't need!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite the challenge, but I am SO with you! I so related to your post! It is hard to be in the world but not of it. We are bombarded all the time with messages telling us we NEED more things. Thanks for the great reminder that often, less is MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree. Less is definitely more. I have been purging my house for about eighteen months of all the "stuff" and trying really hard not purchase anything unless I really "need" it.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think less is a great word for 2008! As a matter of fact, I think I may have to "borrow" your word of the year :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed to hear that!!!
    It should be less of me and more of God this year for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are speaking truth, girl! Sometimes I'd like to just take a bulldozer through this house!

    I really got convicted on this and have been much less shopping-oriented when I did Beth Moore's Daniel study and she talked about living in Babylon.

    And clearing out my parents' house a few years back (as Depression-era folks, they saved everything!!!) was a wake-up call as well. Even the sentimental things from my childhood that my mom had saved didn't have that much meaning.

    It's funny about "stuff". If things just disappeared, I'd never care or miss most of it. But sometimes it's the actual PROCESS of taking it from the shelf and getting rid of it that's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and I enjoyed your post. I'm working on less rather than more for 2008 as well. Now if I could just get the kids to do the same...!

    ReplyDelete