Friday, January 04, 2008

On taglines

As you can see, I've got a new look going on here at Lisa writes, thanks to the talent and creativity of Jules, the Everyday Mommy herself. Jules has also suggested the addition of a tagline and even provided some pointers for tagline development:

1. Short & sweet

2. A hint at what your blog is about

3. A dash of humor, if possible

Well, y'all know that I am somewhat humor-challenged (to say the very least), so pointer #3 is out, but I did a little thinking and brainstorming and came up with a couple of options which I submitted to the guru of all things creative (see, I'm not smart enough to be able to add a tagline myself and must instead defer to Jules and her knowledge of all things techie).

Okay, so she didn't laugh at my paltry tagline suggestions, at least I don't think she did but she might have because our communication was via email and emotions are easily masked electronically. Evidently in all my wondrous creativity I came up with the most overused and tired tagline options there are. Here was her response: I'd push for something more unique, more you.

She was very diplomatic, don't you think? :-)

I've been thinking about her suggestion all night, and not just in terms of taglines, although you can certainly observe that I have yet to come up with something more unique, more me. The thing is, I don't see myself as all that unique. Oh, I know I am fearfully and wonderfully made, God's workmanship created to do good works He determined for me before the foundation of the world and all that. God don't make no junk, and that's the truth.

Despite the way things may seem with that self serving element (to at least some small degree) of blogging, I really have a hard time thinking of myself and especially thinking of myself in positive, unique, uncommon terms. I'm just me, an ordinary woman, wife, and mother. Nothing special. Commonly common, if that even makes sense.

This tendency of mine to avoid anything remotely resembling self promotion often surfaces when it comes time to begin a new Bible study. I so long for any woman who would to join us, but there is that part of me that hesitates to invite her to something I am doing. Does that even make sense? Okay, don't answer that. I already know, really I do.

A couple of years ago I had the privilege of speaking at my church's ladies' banquet. I was also asked to sell tickets. I thought I would die of embarrassment in Sunday school when I stammered through made an announcement that went something like this: "I have tickets for the Ladies' Banquet. That is, if you want to go. I mean, if you don't that's totally okay, because well, I'm speaking. But I'm sure the food will be good and there will be music. But if you don't feel like coming, it's really fine. I'm sure you've probably got plans anyway..."

Pitiful.

Is it insecurity, I ask myself? Insecurity masking itself as false humility? Fear? Lack of confidence? Relying on myself when I know that I am totally incapable in and of myself?

Or, all of the above.

Here's the real me: Ordinary. Common. Often overwhelmed and incredibly insecure. Weak. Prideful. At times controlling, at other times out of control. Lazy too much of the time, disciplined too little. A lousy housekeeper, a passable cook (which is open to deliberation). Blogger. Bible teacher. A wife and mother who loves her husband and children with a lay-down-my-life fierceness of passion, yet who fails them so much and so often. A follower of the Lord Jesus who longs to bring glory and honor to His name with every ounce of my being and every breath I take, yet who stumbles and falls and sins and rebels and must ask for mercy. Again. And again.

So, that won't exactly fit on a tagline, nor does it necessarily make me unique. Like many of you who read this blog, tagline or no, I am a woman who yearns to make much of Jesus...and nothing of me. A simple woman. The ordinary, cracked clay pot seeking to be a vessel of His glory. A woman who despite her failings...and maybe also because of them...has determined to live for His renown. Not perfectly. Maybe not even uniquely. But wholeheartedly and unreservedly.

30 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    From another uncommonly common woman, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for expressing so eloquently what I so often struggle with! Your honesty endears you to me! Like you, I am "Perfectly Imperfect." It's the one thing I know I get right! :-) Blessings,
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have a very hard time coming up with a tag line using those criteria. I, too, fail to see myself as totall unique. I'm more of a "nothing new under the sun" kind of gal.

    When I began my blog, I didn't consider constructing it or laying it out in order to alert people to what the blog is about. I just began writing. I hate any hint of self-promotion, so I always tend toward self-deprecation.

    I love your insight and honesty. Perhaps your tagline should reflect that.

    And I'm not humorous, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and Kim.

    Tag lines are funny things. If you stop and think about them, many of them prove to be false advertising or pigeonholing.

    I like the design very much "as is." I don't think you need to add a tagline.

    If you feel you must have a tagline, how about, "I'm real"

    : D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could come up with a tagline to save my life. Besides, I think my blog is a little too random to fit nicely under a tagline.

    But I wanted to say that I love your new look. Very nice! And I agree with what others have said -- you are honest, insightful, real. And I definitely appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look and love your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,

    You forgot to add great writer to the list.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Prideful" and "incredibly insecure"... I don't think of those two things existing in the same body.

    What are you proud about... your insecurity? Perhaps your weakness? Your laziness?

    I think you're probably coming down too hard on yourself and THAT is your attribute you should work on shedding.

    Your blog is gorgeous, by the way! And I enjoy your writings very much! :-)

    How about this for a tagline:

    Lisa Writes... uncommon wisdom from a common woman.

    :-)

    O.K., I'm not real good at taglines either. *lol*

    God bless~ Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to be clear... I'm not calling you "weak" or "lazy". I was just using the words that you were using.

    Love~ Pearl (who's paranoid about being misunderstood these days!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a minute there, I thought I was reading MY blog...for I echo your sentiments & could've written those very things about myself.

    My "tagline" is actually a Scripture verse. Perhaps that's a thought? Although I like the new design & don't think you need one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Gena nailed it: Perfectly Imperfect.

    But then again, I used to work in TV news, which is where taglines go to die. Everything is pithy and short and witty and (often) meaningless.

    (The new design is gorgeous, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new look and love you!!!!

    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't change a thing. I love it just the way it is.
    I used a verse, because I couldn't come up with something myself either. And then to just pick one verse was so hard.

    We all know and love you as "Lisa Writes", and that is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made me cry. You described me in all my bumbling, stumbling, imperfect glory!

    Have you ever heard of Uncle Arthur Burt? He's deep in his 90's now and still ministering all over the world. He wrote a book called "How to be ordinary". It's worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have blessed me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so a blessing to me, Lisa! I have missed reading your blog regularly!

    Love the new look! Jules is so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the red!

    Sorry I can't offer any suggestions for a tagline. I'm about as funny as a can of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I set up my blog I never thought about tag lines I just gave it a title because Word Press said I had to and I chose what I did because I just couldn't put my name at the top - too over the top for me but using something that was dear to me seemed the best route.

    I hope that if you add a tag line you're able to come up with something that you'll be happy with.

    I do like the new layout especially the "mom" cup & saucer on top of the notebook and book - looks great to me. :)

    my blog: http://akhmmm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, friend, I had to get in on this one. At least that #3 humor part. How about this:

    Lisa Writes....because the carpool line, soccer games, and life with four boys is full of blog fodder.
    Lisa Writes....about whatever she can remember.
    Lisa Writes....and you read it.

    Or here's some serious ideas and truer reflections of who you are to your readers:

    Lisa Writes....to the praise of God's glory.
    Lisa Writes....by His grace, to His praise, and in His service.

    In truth, your tagline is this blog post because it's what you transparently bring to the table of grace in submission to His call to speak of His wondrous love.

    And I, for one, do love it muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your new design. The color is gorgeous. This post was so endearing, Lisa. I think many of us could very well relate. I had a hard time with tag lines too and went with the scripture I have because that was my heart. But I sort of really loved one of your last lines that could very well function as a tag line if you absolutely have to have one: "An ordinary cracked clay pot seeking to be a vessel of His glory"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too love this post. The funny thing is, I've always thought you did have a tagline of sorts in your profile: "...an ordinary woman living an ordinary life desiring to make much of an extraordinary God." Have fun choosing, or like me, just give up and have a tag-line-less blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Lisa,
    I didn't even know that having a tag line was how we were "supposed" to do it.
    I just added one of my favorite verses.

    I love your words because they are sincere. If you are supposed to have a tag line, it will come to you.

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too had no idea we were supposed to have a tag line. I just used the name of my favorite addiction, er, I mean beverage :)

    I love this post because I think it encapsulates how many people feel. In reality, there is only One who is extraordinary and the fact that we are saved by His grace is itself extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't come up with a tag line, either. I am woefully unfunny.

    But, my blog friend, your writing does encourage those of us who are also quite ordinary to keep on seeking God's glory as we seek to live our ordinary lives to the praise of His glorious grace. For this, I thank you, and this is why I love reading your words so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I have missed a lot in my lazy not-reading-many-blogs spent days. I just can't keep up. Love your new "look"!

    It's so funny to have to think of ourselves in such short and concise terms. You said it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love our new look and am rolling over your invitation to your banquet. That is EXACTLY how I announced ours when I spoke. That is also EXACTLY why YOU are speaking at our next one...LOL

    Can't wait til Thursday! :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't change a thing. I love it just the way it is.
    I used a verse, because I couldn't come up with something myself either. And then to just pick one verse was so hard.

    We all know and love you as "Lisa Writes", and that is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to be clear... I'm not calling you "weak" or "lazy". I was just using the words that you were using.

    Love~ Pearl (who's paranoid about being misunderstood these days!!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. For a minute there, I thought I was reading MY blog...for I echo your sentiments & could've written those very things about myself.

    My "tagline" is actually a Scripture verse. Perhaps that's a thought? Although I like the new design & don't think you need one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think Gena nailed it: Perfectly Imperfect.

    But then again, I used to work in TV news, which is where taglines go to die. Everything is pithy and short and witty and (often) meaningless.

    (The new design is gorgeous, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete