Thursday, January 03, 2008

Word of God speaks

Last Saturday night I was the victim of what was, in my opinion, an especially cruel and unusual practical joke involving an innocent looking chocolate cream pie and what had to have been five bottles of tabasco sauce.

Vengeance is sweet, I told my perpetrator, especially when it is least suspected, and my memory is long.

The next day at church the sermon text was taken from 1 Thess. 5 and included verse 15:

See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another...

The footnote in my Bible reads...

It is a remarkable part of Christian morality that the Christian, following the example of Christ should refuse to seek personal retaliation.

*sigh*

The Word of God, living and active...

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But surely Paul never knew of the torture that is Tabasco in chocolate cream pie. Because that's just SCREAMING for some like-minded love.

    ;-)

    (Sorry about the earlier deleted comment. I missed a typo, and we can't have that, can we?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hmmmm!! I don't think a "well thought out, done in love and friendship" kind of joke in return is the same as evil retaliation.
    You know, for fun - in love. After all, it's just a couple of friends having a good time.
    Oh, I should go pray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see that as retaliation. I see it as fun (well, it will be funny in a few more years). In chocolate pie? That is a travesty! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Lisa! God's Word is so timely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be what a friend of mine calls "a frying pan experience". I've had many "bruises" when His Word falls on me like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, don't worry, your perpetrator feels plenty terrible for his actions.

    I should have stuck with the pickle juice instead of hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you'll have to kill them with kindness i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a bummer. That's when, in the words of the dear old Southern church ladies, they've "quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's why I love you....because well I would have....well....I hope this person knows how blessed they are to have you as their friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHHHHHHHHH what a great reminder... but just like you..... I would have wanted revenge too!!! Poor girl.. LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete