Monday, February 11, 2008

Lisa writes...and cooks!

But I think I write better than I cook, which of course isn't saying much either way. I do cook, just not that well and without much enjoyment. I certainly would rather write!

Our fridge is often full of leftovers, as most of the children don't like whatever it is I cook. That is, except for my firstborn. He proclaims each meal I cook as his "very favorite."

God bless that boy.

My husband (bravely) eats whatever I cook, the good, the bad and the ugly, and all without complaint, but when it comes to the leftovers, he is, after all, only one man.

Me, I don't much like anything I cook. But unlike those picky children of mine, I will eat it, at least the first time around, but not so much the second.

Except for the Chicken Tortilla Soup I made last week. Not only did I eat two bowls the first night, I ate two bowls the next night as well. It's good, if I do say so myself. Of course, my three youngest food critics wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but I don't worry so much about their opinions. My number one son, however, proclaimed it his "very favorite."

God bless that boy.

So, here you have it: the recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup, a recipe incidentally that I tweaked a little as I combined two recipes, and still, it was good! Surprisingly so!

Enjoy!

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

Four chicken breasts, give or take, or whatever chicken pieces you want to use
Approx. 2 cups of chicken broth
1 can chopped RoTel tomatoes
Choppen onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
Salt
Pepper
Cumin

Put above ingredients into a crock pot and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken is done.
Shred chicken (remove bones if you didn't use boneless pieces) and return to crock pot.

Mix together:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 more cups of broth

Add to the crock pot. Turn crock pot to High.

When soup is hot, add three flour tortillas cut in (very) thin strips. Heat for ten minutes or so, just until the tortilla strips are heated through.

Serve with grated cheese and sour cream (the sour cream is a necessity, in my opinion!)

7 comments:

  1. You know I love this soup of yours, and I'm gonna have to try to make it myself. I always look forward to it when we have soup at our SS dinners!!! And, I have to agree on the sour cream. It is a necessity for sure.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love chicken tortilla soup, and sour cream is definitely a necessity! I've never tried it with the cream of __ soups, so that will be a new experiment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds yummy. I'm game for any new recipe. My kids have their ten foot poles at the ready at all times, but at least my husband will appreciate something different. What are Ro Tel tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy! I'm going to try it. You are blessed with your firstborn son!! I have come to discount my boys' opinions on my cooking, too, since they hardly ever like it. But the times when they like it, they really, really like it, and that does warm my heart. My oldest is finally getting to where he likes more things - either that or he's growing so fast he's just hungry enough to eat whatever I put in front of him....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire anyone who loves to cook. I do not. I do cook, but I am not nearly as creative as you and others I know. I do not relish in trying new recipes. I worked for the first 13 years of our marriage and through the birth of the four sons before God enabled me to quit. Then I began home schooling and then I became a raw vegan so the idea of quick and easy has never left me! This recipe sounds great. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so tempted to bring my Seattle crock pot to California when I read these wonderful crock pot recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made your soup last night for dinner and it was a big hit! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete