Monday, February 11, 2008

The roads we choose

This morning in my preparation for Bible study tonight, I read the following commentary on Naomi's husband Elimelech's decision to move to Moab, a pagan culture and enemy of Israel, due to a famine in Bethlehem as described in Ruth 1:1-2. Consider these words from the Reformed Expository Commentary on Esther and Ruth (emphasis mine):

[Elimelech] chose to do what was best in his own eyes. Instead of following the path of repentance and faith, trusting the Lord to provide for his needs, he moved to follow what seemed to be the best prospects of supporting his family, humanly speaking. He chose the road to Moab.

Which road will each of us choose? Very often in those defining moments in life where we get to direct our own course for the future, the factors that weigh most heavily in our decisions are those that seem most likely to provide us with comfort and security. The bottom line in our lives is rarely God's will, as it is revealed in his Word, especially if it seems to cut directly across our best prospects for happiness and success...Like Elimelech, we act as the sovereign of our own lives, making the choices that seem best in our eyes, without reference to God and without serious thought about the long-term implications. Many bear the label "Christian" yet their Christianity has no real impact on life-defining decisions, just as Elimelech bore the name "My God is king" yet lived in a way that made it evident that God wasn't his king at all. The roads we choose for ourselves often make our deepest heart commitments plain for all to see.

9 comments:

  1. "The roads we choose for ourselves often make our deepest heart commitments plain for all to see."

    Excellent point, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how i needed to hear this today. i emailed it to my dh and i can see we need to prayerfully talk about this soon.

    thank you for sharing wisdom and truth from the Lord. i needed this reminder to repent and trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a hard thing to think about. But so very true. How many of my decisions are based on my own comfort rather than even considering what glorifies God most. You've hit on something I've been thinking about for a while now - the fact that being a Christian ought to make a fundamental and incredible difference in how I live day by day, and how many times it doesn't because I've chosen my own way if I am truly honest with myself. I think this is the root of all those times I feel like such a hypocrite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...that was extremely prfound and thought provoking...thanks for the challenge and the ideas.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. So convicting. Rarely if ever does one choose the hard road or the road of pain and suffering. Thankfully we have a sovereign God who allows these trials to come into our lives for our refining. To choose the hard road...not easy! Very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very true. My husband and I have to be very careful how we define success or we drift off of our path. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this has made me think about the decisions I make (am making) in my life. How many of my decisions are based on what I have determined is right in my own eyes?

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how i needed to hear this today. i emailed it to my dh and i can see we need to prayerfully talk about this soon.

    thank you for sharing wisdom and truth from the Lord. i needed this reminder to repent and trust.

    ReplyDelete