Friday, February 08, 2008

Tagged again

So, I tagged Julie, and she has returned the favor. This is a book meme, with the following rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages.)
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.

The book that is nearest me is Let the Reader Understand, A Guide to Interpreting and Applying the Bible. Page 123, sentences 6 through 8 read:

Unfortunately, sometimes our favorite passages are favorites becuase of a particular word, rather than what the sentence says. Of course, individual words are important details, but they mean something only in relation to other words in a sentence. For example, much interesting but dubious material has been extracted from the fact that Paul tells Timothy that he should be "rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Tim. 2:15 KJV).

So, there you go.

Interestingly enough, there is a reason this particular book was closest to me: I ordered it from amazon about three weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it. Kim of The Upward Call has been reading it and she posted a quote awhile back that I wanted to look up. As I searched, I realized I had a problem: my book was missing pages 151-182 (good thing this meme concerns page 123!). Anyway, I contacted the publisher (hence the book's proximity to the computer and corresponding google search), explained my problem and they are sending me another copy post-haste!

Certainly this post could be filed away under More Dull and Uninteresting Information Than You Cared to Know, but thanks for reading anyway! And thanks, Julie for the tag!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this meme cuz you never know what you are going to get and all you have to do is copy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa, my reading kindred spirit! You'll enjoy Angela Hunt's post for Saturday - it's already up. (She's on my sidebar)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't find the excerpt dull at all, but interesting enough that I just might have to look in to that book myself! The closet book to me is Next Door Savor by Max Lucado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been tagged for this meme by a friend as well. My book wasn't much better on the interest level LOL

    Elaine
    my blog: http://akhmmm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete