Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Pure idiocy

Last night as I was teaching Bible study, or rather attempting to teach, the following thought flitted across my consciousness: "I am the biggest idiot."

Well, at that point, all teaching I presumed to be doing was over. Oh, I bluffed my way through it, all the while agreeing with myself over and over: "I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot..." If I could have, I would have picked up my Bible right then and ran home, never to sit in the teacher's chair again.

Oh, I was distracted to be sure. I'd had a crazy afternoon of which I will spare you the details except to mention two major events of the day: my van door got hit and I lost my credit card.

I was ill-prepared as well, due in some part to the crazy afternoon but due largely to my own lack of discipline and no lack of self reliance.

Actually, I think my realization of my idiocy was due to a prayer I had prayed yesterday morning in which I confessed my pride. "I humble myself," I told the Lord, "Empty me of me. My selfish pride, my self centered self preoccupation, they are crucified with Christ. I no longer live, but Christ lives in me."

The Lord, He is faithful to answer.

Sometimes, many times, the surest path to humility comes from humiliation. Want to be emptied of your pride? See your idiocy.

I am an idiot. It is idiotic to think I can presume to teach God's holy Word in my own strength and by my own merits. It's pure idiocy to harbor any degree of pride or self reliance before the Almighty, All Sufficient, Holy God of the universe, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the One True God who will not share His glory with another.

The Bible tells us our Lord chooses the foolish and the weak--the idiots--so that no one may boast before Him. My idiocy reveals Jesus as "our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption." (See 1 Cor. 1:27-31) I'm the idiot, so the good in me must be, has to be, Christ.

Seeing my idiocy is actually a great gift, though it doesn't feel much like it. I don't like feeling humiliated, but it is to the humble He gives more grace. Those who walk in pride will surely come face to face with their idiocy--often falling flat on their face--but those humble enough to admit their idiocy will be exalted.

"He gives more grace. Therefore it says, 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble'...Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you."
James 4:6, 10

"Those who walk in pride he is able to humble."
Dan. 4:37

16 comments:

  1. The Lord, He is faithful to answer.

    Sometimes, many times, the surest path to humility comes from humiliation. Want to be emptied of your pride? See your idiocy.

    Yeah - feeling this one! Amen and thank God for his grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile, friend! I'll hang around with your idiot-ness any time!

    And I totally get and agree with this! (Not for you but for me!)

    You definitely glorify Him!

    And I'm so sorry about the cruddy stuff that happened to you yesterday with the van and the credit card. What a headache!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your honesty! I feel like this all the time.....I know it's the Lord humbling me, but for some reason I CANNOT GET IT : (. I'm sorry you had to feel that way, but thankful your perspective is sweet and worship-filled! Sometimes it takes me a few days to get there, by God's grace! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I must be an idiot too...I have had a difficult week, which has forced me to ask the question, "who am I that I think I could do anything apart from Him?"

    Thanks for reminding me that His grace is there for those who are truly humble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember going through an excruciating time a few years ago. And I cried, "Lord, why? This hurts so much. I'm being rent in two!"

    And He gently said, "Remember? You said you wanted to know Me. You said you wanted to be purified. This is the path toward that for you right now."

    Oh. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny. All I could think of was a middle ground when I read your post. Not that you are an idiot, but a humbleness that helps you to see that you can share what you are learning but that God himself will do the teaching of others. That your sharing might be the spark He uses to teach them AND that whie sharing, others might be a spark to you as well that He uses to teach you as you share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though it does not feel like it at the moment--what a gift. It is through my weakness, that His strength is revealed. Thank you for these "real" reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU'RE an idiot?? Then, what am I?!!

    Love looking in you and getting a glimse of what's happening in your life and heart.

    Sorry I don't comment more......(my own self-image issues.:-)

    Be humbled, be blessed, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, that was supposed to say, "love looking IN on you....."
    See why I don't comment?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate, Lisa. Thanks for sharing this whole thought process, especially the verses, I needed to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for writing such an honest post. When I started to read it I thought, "No, Lisa, you are not an idiot, I'm sure you did great." I love how you wove the story together. Our puny minds are all idiotic compared to the mind of God. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like this often...thanks for your frankness and reminder of God working in our lives to make us more humble.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Authentic is what you are. Thanks for being so real with us. Thanks for being a mirror today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all have times of feeling like that, so we're able to see just how wise He is.

    "He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him." - John 7:18

    Thanks for modeling that today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all have times of feeling like that, so we're able to see just how wise He is.

    "He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him." - John 7:18

    Thanks for modeling that today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well I must be an idiot too...I have had a difficult week, which has forced me to ask the question, "who am I that I think I could do anything apart from Him?"

    Thanks for reminding me that His grace is there for those who are truly humble.

    ReplyDelete