Thursday, March 20, 2008

Ready, Set, Read!

It's here: Spring Reading Thing 2008, thanks to Katrina of Callapidder Days! The rules are simple: participants post a list of titles they plan to read this spring, link to their post over at Katrina's site, and then read! At the end of the challenge, each participant then posts a review of sorts on which books were read, which ones weren't, which were liked and which we could've done without. Interested? Click on the graphic and it should take you directly to Katrina's place where you can find all the details.

My reading goals include the following titles which are already in a holding pattern on my bookcase:

On Writing Well, by William Zinsser (currently reading, have been reading, need to keep reading--quite obviously!)

What Jesus Demands of the World, by John Piper

The Excellent Wife, by Martha Peace (want to read along with us?)

Feminine Appeal, by Carolyn Mahaney

The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment, by Tim Challies

The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, by Lysa Terkeurst

The Truth War, by John MacArthur

Okay, so that's not all the books that are in the stack "To Be Read," (have I told you how much I love to buy books?) but perhaps that's enough for now. You might remember my lack of success in the fall challenge.

You may well ask, where's the fiction? To be sure, I will be reading some fiction titles as I am, you well know, a huge fan of (well written) fiction. I do want to read Prince Caspian and some of the other titles in the Chronicles of Narnia series by CS Lewis. I also want to continue reading some of the classics: Dickens, for example. I am, however, leaving my fiction options open to pursue as the whim strikes. My schedule has been so crazy here lately that when I do actually sit down with a really good read, like Cold Sassy Tree most recently, I don't read it; I devour it.

Head over to Katrina's to check out who else is joining in and what they play to read.

Happy reading!

15 comments:

  1. Feminine Appeal is excellent and encouraged me in my role as a wife and mother.

    I am reading The Excellent Wife with you all!

    And I am also reading What Happens When Women say Yes to God...I have already read the first chapter and I am anxious to keep reading.

    And the rest look very good too!

    Happy Reading my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list. I noticed a lot of people are reading The Excellent Wife.. Now I see why ;-) Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting...I need to buy On Writing Well, and I haven't yet. I am excited to begin it as I hear it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book lists are always inspiring!

    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't sweat over "On Writing Well". . . you've got that ons mastered!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just saw your blog on a recommended list. I'd love to make new friends!

    Go to
    http://myra.lifewithChrist.org

    and see my scripture and devotion blog.
    Have a blessed Easter.
    --Myra Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good reading in that stack! Looking forward to your thoughts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Non Fiction is such a challenge for me I usually only have one on the list for each challenge. I am in awe of you for having eight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh rats!!! I have been so busy lately with work and school that I haven't been able to write in my blog (I feel like my blog has become a video stop :) ) I would love to join you in this reading challenge, but I don't think that I will be able to.

    Have a wonderful time reading. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are only three on this list that I haven't read yet. You are going to have a good spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list looks great, Lisa! I have On Writing Well in audio format on my iPod and I've listened to the first part about 10 times...then I get distracted by something else and by the time I get back to it, I feel like I need to start over again! I need to exercise some discipline and just finish it already!

    The Lisa TerKeurst book has popped up on several lists and it looks very good. Thanks for being part of SRT '08!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. You have some heavy hitting titles there. I think I may check some of those out! Thanks for the list:)

    Have a wonderful blessed Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome, thanks for the reminder! I have so much I want to read, so much I want to buy, and so much I want to write...is that confusing or what? Ha! (That just about sums me up!)

    Thanks!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Feminine Appeal and The Excellent Wife-really transformational for me.

    Look forward to hearing what you think of Tim Challies book--I've eyed this one since it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, the Elements of Style. An oldie, but a goodie. :) Is Carolyn Mahaney related to CJ (or the same person)?

    Great list. Happy reading to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feminine Appeal is excellent and encouraged me in my role as a wife and mother.

    I am reading The Excellent Wife with you all!

    And I am also reading What Happens When Women say Yes to God...I have already read the first chapter and I am anxious to keep reading.

    And the rest look very good too!

    Happy Reading my friend!

    ReplyDelete