Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Wednesday Wanderings

Last night I enjoyed a rare night at home, not so uncommon in the spring but uncommon enough that I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. So I left the dishes in the sink (and on the stove and the countertop) and said to my husband, "Let's sit on the sofa and do nothing."

Which we did. Except nothing really meant watching the election returns on CNN.

While my husband snoozed, I watched with great interest as I remain hopelessly addicted to the Presidential political process. Call me a nerd, but I am absolutely fascinated.

I had something of a bad day yesterday so when I realized there would be no early definitive results from "Super Tuesday II" I decided to indulge in my favorite form of antidepressants: coffee, chocolate and a good book.

Speaking of chocolate, let me just tell you that my favorite thing about Easter, apart of course from celebrating the Resurrection of my Lord, is Cadbury Mini Eggs. Love them. LOVE them. And they come in DARK CHOCOLATE! Antidepressing, indeed...

And speaking of a good book, I'm reading "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns. I read it several years ago and loved it and there's nothing like revisiting a really, really good read to lift your spirits. It's a Southern story, which as you well know is my favorite kind of all. I could hardly put it down last night despite John King's amazing interactive delegate map.

And despite the way I "carried on" yesterday, not everything is depressing. Since my van door got hit, I've been climbing in and out of the passenger door, which is pretty comical, I'll admit. My husband removed the center console for ease of climbing across, but let's just say there's nothing easy about it. Nor graceful.

Anyway, yesterday as I was climbing across, what do I spot there on the van floor where the console used to be? My credit card! Hallelujah!

And today I took the van to the body shop for what seems to be our annual appointment. "Glad to keep you guys in business," I told our friend in the body shop. He declared my van undrivable what with me climbing in and out of the passenger door which meant I could go ahead and get a rental! Hallelujah!

Of course, when the guy brought the rental car around he asked, "Didn't you have a claim last year?"

Yes, I did. Thanks for the reminder.

In my devotional reading this morning, I read the following verses:

"Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." (Ps. 61:1-4)

From overflowing washers to lost credit cards, I've been overwhelmed this week. Praise God, He hears my cries and attends to my prayers. He leads me to the higher place, and offers shelter and protection. He is my refuge!

11 comments:

  1. My Friend....my thoughts are with you.....it seems that I have "your" kind of week more and more.....and in those times I am reminded of John MacArthur's statement...A believer's Spirituality is measured by what it takes to steal his joy....


    Love you....
    MdA

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a great refuge when I am feeling overwhelmed! I'm sorry you've had a rough week. I'm not sure I should be thankful that it took a car accident to find your credit card, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok friend, I am also a politics kunkie and I love cadburry eggs. I think we just bonded!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that's junkie, not kunkie. As you can see, I am also an idiot :)

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rejoice with you in finding the credit card! It's like the modern day equivalent of the woman finding her lost coin.

    (Almost.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! God IS good all the time. All the time, God IS good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things are on the upswing. I've added that book to my list of "to read". Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my mom was hear a couple of weeks ago reorganizing my life, she found stashed in the back of my freezer--Cadbury mini eggs. It made bedrest sweeter that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking I need to try the Cadbury eggs. Never met a dark chocolate I didn't like. . . .

    Glad you found your credit card. And nice to know mechanics in your state are so tactful.

    I always like knowing what you're reading....chances are I'll like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Cold Sassy Tree" is a great way to lose yourself after a trying time. It's on my list of all time favorites.
    Hope you have a better week.
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart.

    REALLY.

    So sorry your week has been rough. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete