Monday, March 10, 2008

Words fail

What do you say? You've just heard God's Word proclaimed in power and passion, your heart has been pierced by the double edged sword of the living Word, the weight of God's glory is fresh upon you, and well, "that was great" or "good job" seems a little inadequate.

This is my experience at the close of our services on Sundays. As I walk past my pastor, I want to say something like "I was pierced and convicted and my heart cut to the quick as I beheld the glory of God in the pages of His Word and it was awesome and incredible and humbling and exciting and I pray I will never be the same but that God will take His word and mold me and sanctify me and conform me to the image of His Son to the praise of His glory"

Or, you know, something like that.

But, usually all I can mumble is "thank you."

Seeing the glory of God in the face of Christ and hearing His Word preached "not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power" Sunday after Sunday is indeed a privilege, one I do not take for granted. In fact, nearly every Sunday as my husband and I get in the van to go home, one or other of us will say "Wow. God is good."

He is good! So good that sometimes words fail and in my humility before Him all I can mumble is "thank You."

Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.
Ps. 136:1

8 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa,

    I know our pastor tells us how much encouraging e-mails minister to him because pastors rarely see the encouraging ones -- they usually see the "church business" or critical ones.

    Our pastor keeps a file of the blessings that he gets from his members because he says some days he just needs to be reminded that what he is doing is making a difference in lives.

    Maybe you should send your pastor an e-mail or better you send him a copy of this blog post!

    I think it would "spur him on to love and good deeds!"

    Blessings,
    Dori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your heart!!

    I sometimes deliberately don't say anything at the end of a powerful sermon or musical worship experience because I don't want it to come across as an automatic knee jerk reactionl. Instead I email it later. I think it has even a greater impact for them to know that someone remembers it and is affected a day or two later! And then you can word it as you do so eloquently here!

    And including it here on your blog just encourages the rest of us as well!!

    Much love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to say, "See you at home. What's Mom cooking for dinner? OH! And don't try to give me that weird handshake just because I'm your oldest child."

    Sending an encouraging e-mail is a great idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should copy this post print it and send it to your pastor. Looks like I'm not the only one suggesting that. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I don't know your pastor but if he's anything like his darlin' wife there's no doubt why you love him so. Being married to a pastor, I can tell you the words you just wrote will encourage him to no end.

    Love you friend!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am blessed to hear the Word rightly proclaimed on Sunday mornings. It's something I too often take for granted. Thank you for opening my eyes today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do you got to church???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen. Been there. So understand this post!

    ReplyDelete