Thursday, April 03, 2008

Perishables

When I said "If I perish, I perish" I did not consider the possibility of the stomach virus. I spent all day long--literally all day long--in the bed Tuesday and have yet to fully recover. I still can't remember what day it is. It's like I lost a whole day. Now that I think about it, I guess I did.

I have not been alone in my suffering. One son stayed home Tuesday, one yesterday along with my husband, and another is home today. These are the time when I wish we did not share quite so much.

My house is trashed. It is a bad place when you feel good enough to resent the mess that surrounds you, yet ill enough to be unable to do anything about the mess that surrounds you. Ignorance, even if it means losing an entire day, is in some ways bliss.

Today is another day and the mess will not be going anywhere, no matter how much I may wish it would.

Are there lessons to be learned or glory to be gained from such an evil as the stomach virus? True, God had several lessons to teach me in my last battle with this dreaded foe, but this time I am not so sure. Sickness sometimes seems so pointless.

However, if nothing else, our (lingering) illness has served to remind me of the perishable nature of this present world. We age. We get sick. Unless Jesus returns, we will all die. Yet we who belong to Christ have a glorious inheritance, an eternal dwelling place in the presence of Lord God Almighty and the Lamb, the blessed hope of no more mourning or crying or pain or sickness. No more! This world, this sickness, this brokenness and this frailty that make us prone to illness, it is all only for a time. One day, one glorious day, we shall be free of the perishable and will put on the imperishable!

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

16 comments:

  1. I've asked the Lord most frequently to take me home when I have stomach issues. :)
    Hope you and your household are all better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for that clean bathroom...

    Stomach bugs are the absolute ickiest. I'd rather be sick a week with fever and sore throat than 24 hours with the stomach bug.

    Hope you are all soon back to your normal selves! Wish I could bring you some chicken noodle soup. (I love Chick-fil-A'!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, Lisa, I am so sorry. I hate the stomach bug and I keep praying that it will not attack our house this season. It is THE worst. Hope you guys are all recovered soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how so many times I have thought "Even so come Lord Jesus!" I am so sorry for your illness woes. Take good care...the mess will be there when you are well and it always needs redoing anyway! Praying recovery is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I hope I was not the deliverer of your illness. I experienced the same issues last weekend and it's not fun. I too looked for God's plan in the sickness. Not sure I found it, but I'm sure he has a purpose, as he does in all things. Hang in there, you will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN!!!! Can't wait to put on the imperishable!!! Even so, sorry you are sick - NOT fun!!!! May Jesus fully heal your family and bring strength to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I hope you all feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I get sick, I take it as a reminder from God to slow down and appreciate each day as a gift.

    Although, the lesson usually resonates more when I'm done throwing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three words - Bless your heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I understand your pain! I had a similar post last week. I have things that the Lord has given me to do, but I can't do any of them when I am sick--which has been way too much. I wish there was a purpose for the sickness. It would be nice to know something good was going to come from the suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just checking on you to be sure you haven't perished. . .

    Love ya!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great attitude for someone as sick as you are . . . I tend to agree with Ellen B. (first commenter) at times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I understand your pain! I had a similar post last week. I have things that the Lord has given me to do, but I can't do any of them when I am sick--which has been way too much. I wish there was a purpose for the sickness. It would be nice to know something good was going to come from the suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Three words - Bless your heart

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, I hope I was not the deliverer of your illness. I experienced the same issues last weekend and it's not fun. I too looked for God's plan in the sickness. Not sure I found it, but I'm sure he has a purpose, as he does in all things. Hang in there, you will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AMEN!!!! Can't wait to put on the imperishable!!! Even so, sorry you are sick - NOT fun!!!! May Jesus fully heal your family and bring strength to you!

    ReplyDelete